1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help! laptap wont load windows

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by msreality, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msreality

msreality Thread Starter

I have a compaq presario 1810 laptop --- running win98 SE with norton 2003 internet security

I was receiving a "invalid system disk" message --since I do not have any of the original software disks or operating sys disks

I created a bootable disk from bootdisk.com
    I followed all instructions (extracted the files etc..) then but the disk in the computer... it copied everything... I typed in sys C, got the message system transferred, now. at the C: prompt when I type in WIN to start windows it tells me bad command or file name
    is there something I did wrong?
    Help!!

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

DOS is telling you that Win is a bad command because it is, That command hasn't worked since Win3.1.

Is there an Operating System on your HDD? Switch to C:\> by typing c:, and pressing Enter at the [A] prompt.

3. msreality

msreality Thread Starter

the operating system is windows 98...

I do have the " C:\> " prompt

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Boot with the Startup disk in the [A] drive; Switch to C drive; At a [C] prompt type, scanreg /restore, and press Enter. Choose the earliest date possible and press Enter; Restart your computer using Crtl + Alt + Delete keys.

5. msreality

msreality Thread Starter

oops I should have said its windows 98 and then they install windows 98 Second Edition

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

type, dir, and press Enter at a [c] prompt. What does it say?

7. msreality

msreality Thread Starter

okay I have tried this several times
    "Boot with the Startup disk in the [A] drive;
    Switch to C drive;
    At a [C] prompt type
    scanreg /restore
    and press Enter"

and each time after pressing enter, it comes up bad command or file name

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

no Operating System (OS) on there?

9. Styxx

Styxx Banned

try scanreg /fix or scanreg /restore at a [A] or [C] prompt.

10. msreality

msreality Thread Starter

okay I typed dir and this is what comes up

Volume in Drive C is (a bunch of wierd charcters)
    Volume serial number is 0E61-15E1
    Directory of C:\

weird symbol <DIR>
    command.com 93890
    NCDTREE <DIR>
    IE 1,702,130,553
    m <DIR>
    2 file(s) 1,702,224,443 bytes
    3 dir(s) 1,303.55 MBfree

11. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Looks like you have no OS on there. If you did one of the directories would have been Windows.

Your computer may have been hacked because you had no firewall or because your HDD contracted virus, or just HDD failure.

Does your laptop allow you to have both CD and floppy installed at once? You need to reinstall Windows and the drivers for your computer's Video, Audio and Modem. There is a easy way to install Windows from CD if you can only have CD or floppy inserted at once. Do you have a Windows install CD and drivers listed above?

12. msreality

msreality Thread Starter

I did have norton internet security 2003 which has a personal firewall as part of the soft ware....and is an extensive anti-virus, hacker program (it took me forever to set it up) this laptop was running fine until I turned it on and got the invalid system disk message.

the only disks that I have is a copy of the windows98 second edition but that is not with me it is at home.

I do have both a floppy and cd drive, but the floppy drive does not work, I had to create the bootable disk on cd.

so I only have the cd drive that works.
    (I get the feeling that this is going to be a problem....)

13. Styxx

Styxx Banned

The only problem really will be if your sensitive data wasn't backed up and the loss of use of the unit. The HDD may have done bad on you but the only way to confirm that is too try and reinstall Windows on there and see if it stays installed properly, that is, without just going a replacing the hard drive without checking first.

Please see the printable attachment for data on how to prep and install Windows on laptop with only one drive functional at a time. You can probably just use the bootable CD in place of the floppy in the tutorial or adapt the tutorial to your needs.

Attached Files:

14. msreality

msreality Thread Starter

okay...I will have to do this step when I get home tonight......I will diffiniately post back in the morning if this worked or not.....

thanks for your help.... keep your fingers crossed!!!
    :)

15. msreality

msreality Thread Starter

just wanted to let you know that this worked!!!
    Thank you so much for your help!!!!
    :D

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170180

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice