Help, laptop killing WiFi!

Dbuck

Hello all,
I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that I bought recently. Running windows 10, the only other install is Microsoft office. I have a cable modem (spectrum cable) and a basic router. When I try to use the laptop online it gets the wifi signal briefly then drops it. It not only drops, it but knocks out my WiFi where I usually have to go and unplug the router and modem to restart it. WiFi works fine with a phone, 2 iPads and streaming tv. I can try to use the laptop with the tv on and watch as the fire stick loses the signal. I have been on the phone with Dell techs. They remotely update everything and all the drivers. I think next I may have to send it to Dell to replace the network card. I’d rather not have to send it in for who knows how long. Any ideas would be appreciated. Very frustrated!
Thank you!

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Just for our reference, please run the tool that is in my signature below and past the info here. This will show the details of the computer.

IS the router part of the modem also from the ISP, or a separate one, and if the latter what is the model of that router?

Dbuck

Just for our reference, please run the tool that is in my signature below and past the info here. This will show the details of the computer.

IS the router part of the modem also from the ISP, or a separate one, and if the latter what is the model of that router?
The router is separate, it is a Cisco Linksys E1200

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.9
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Build 19041, Installed 20200608151710.000000-240
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1065G7 CPU @ 1.30GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 126 Stepping 5, CPU Count: 8
Total Physical RAM: 8 GB
Graphics Card: Intel(R) Iris(R) Plus Graphics, 1024 MB
Hard Drives: C: 459 GB (395 GB Free);
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0HFDR0, ver A00, s/n /9YCSC33/CNCMC0003V012C/
System: Dell Inc., ver DELL - 20170001, s/n 9YCSC33
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

Fireflycph

Morten
Did you make sure that your modem/router from Spectrum is set to bridge mode? If it's "just" a modem you shouldn't have to do that. However, if it's a combo you'll need to do that in order for your Cisco to do DHCP, NAT etc.

How depends on which type of modem/router. But Spectrum should be able to assist you there.

Lastly, have you tried to connect directly to the modem via an Ethernet cable? If so, are you having the same issues? If you do, it is quite possible that the Spectrum equipment is faulty.

Dbuck

It is a modem, and a separate router. The laptop works perfectly when plugged into the router with a Ethernet cable. Any ideas?

Fireflycph

Morten
I'm sorry.
I have no idea. Have you tried to deinstall the wifi card and associated drivers?
If it happened when ethernet was connected too I'd have a few ideas. But only when using wifi?

Hopefully there'll be someone smarter than me here who can assist you.

DakBai

Dak
It is a modem, and a separate router. The laptop works perfectly when plugged into the router with a Ethernet cable. Any ideas?
If it works when plugged in via Ethernet, is there a way you could keep it that way?

Couriant

James
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
To confirm, you lose wifi to all devices once your laptop does? If this only happens when your laptop connects, but the wireless connection is fine without the laptop on, then it's quite possible that the wireless in the laptop is the cause... though I suspect the router could be contributing to it.

Do you have any other issues with a wireless connection elsewhere, or just at this location?

As to sending the computer back to dell, they are pretty good with their turnaround, though with COVID, it may take a couple of days longer than normal.

DakBai

Dak
To confirm, you lose wifi to all devices once your laptop does? If this only happens when your laptop connects, but the wireless connection is fine without the laptop on, then it's quite possible that the wireless in the laptop is the cause... though I suspect the router could be contributing to it.
If other devices are losing Internet as well, this could possibly be a router or modem problem.

Dbuck

Yes, the Wifi works fine with all my other devices. It’s only when I try to use the laptop does the Wifi cut out. Sometimes it seems to go back to normal after I give up on using the laptop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online