1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Laptop refuses to work!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Oneleggedmum, Apr 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Oneleggedmum

Oneleggedmum Thread Starter

I have a laptop which is as follows:
    Dell Studio laptop
    pentium dual core
    3030M system RAM PASSED
    1024 KB L2 CACHE
    SYSTEM BIOS SHADOWED
    VIDEO BIOS SHADOWED
    FIXED DISK :0 HITATCHI HI9542512K99A00
    ADAPTI CD-ROM: TSST CORP DVD+/- RW TS-T633A
    MOUSE INITIALISED

When I press Esc it comes up with the info as above which flashes for literally a second then it comes up as follows:
    Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v11.0.9
    Copyright (C) 2000-2008 Broadcom Corporation
    Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intep Corporation
    All rights reserved
    PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
    PXE-MOF: Exiting Broadcom PXE ROM
    Operating System not found

I am trying to put windows xp on it but it is not happening. I had problems with it and was advised to replace the hard drive which I did (upgraded to larger one at same time) and replaced the battery as this was old and needed replacing.

Please be honest - have I wasted my cash buying new hard drives etc - is it mendable or should I just chuck it, send the pieces back to the store and get a new laptop?

If it is mendable please give step by step instructions! I have some experience but am not an expert!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi Oneleggedmum, and welcome to TSG?

Are you trying to install Windows from a CD? If so, is the CD in the drive when you power up the computer?

If the CD is in the drive, then go into the BIOS settings on power up and set to boot order to make the optical drive the first location to boot from

3. Oneleggedmum

Hi

Yes I have the cd in but its not reading it. Also tried going into bios but I just get the second message. I have also tried external drives to no avail.

4. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    How were you trying to access the BIOS settings? It usually requires tapping a certain key (like F2, or DEL) on the keyboard as soon as the computer is turned on.

5. Oneleggedmum

Hi
    Ok so I press esc and it tells me to press F2 for setup - go to bit that tells you where to boot from, put cd drive at top and ... as above screen comes up :(

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Does the CD drive have a light that comes on when you try that or can you hear sounds like the laptop is trying to access the disc?

Exactly what kind of disc are you trying to boot from (Recovery disc from Dell? Burned recovery disc made using the laptop's recovery software? Retail copy of Windows?)?

7. Oneleggedmum

Hi
    Yes the cd sounds like its working - also trIed in other laptops to check and tried on this one using an external cd drive to make doubly sure. Using a newly purchased legal windows xp disc.

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am out of ideas. Maybe somebody here is more familiar with Dell laptops and can see something that the two of us are missing.

What is the model number of the Dell Studio laptop and did it originally come with Windows XP?

9. Oneleggedmum

I think it came. Vista but it was a horrible system so I put xp on soon after. Its a Studio 1555.

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    Im very familiar with dell computers.In fact i also have a studio 1555. When i bought mine i think it came either with vista or windows 7 and it now has windows xp pro in it and there are lots of xp drivers for that model.That was the only reason i bought it.It sounds like possibly the cd drive is shot. On dell computers to get to the BIOS you hit either F1 or F2. To go to the boot order you hit F12.If the cd drive is the problem all you can do is replace it.They arent worth fixing.If it isnt the cd drive then you might want to take it somewhere and get a correct diagnosis.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1049987

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice