1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help. Laptop screen broke.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mikerec, Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikerec

mikerec Thread Starter

I think this is my laptop

http://www.notebookshopper.net/asus-k60i-rbbbr05.html

I searched it on google and found it on a site that sells replacement screens but they are out of stock and it's like 100$ which is way more than I expect to pay.

Maybe someone can look at that my laptop in that link and point me in the right direction to a cheaper alternative.

I was told that screens should be compatible with various models of laptops but I don't have the first clue what type of screens are and aren't compatible

2. PedroHin

PedroHin

There are literally hundreds of screen models. The only way to find a true match other than by laptop model, is to take the screen apart, and look for the number on the back and match it up at a site like screencountry.com .

I just looked at that site BTW, and they also have it for $100 -- that is about the average price for a new LCD.

3. mikerec

mikerec Thread Starter

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/merkles/3.png

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/merkles/2.png

http://i917.photobucket.com/albums/ad19/merkles/1.png

I took it apart. Here's some pics...I think I might be in a little over my head here but I'm not turning back now.

How am I supposed to get that ribbon cable or whatever it is out? I lifted up the taped on it and saw like 20 wires so I left the tape there...Do I just pull it out is there a certain way to take it out?

4. PedroHin

PedroHin

just gently peel that tape back, and the the connector slides out of the LCD.

I just looked up your part number -- ltn160at06-a01 and that is an LED screen, not LCD, that's why it is kind of pricey

5. mikerec

mikerec Thread Starter

6. mikerec

mikerec Thread Starter

ok, so I had my screen out and put it all back together and the screen worked (obv still broken, but it worked) So maybe I can still do this after all. I just need help finding some compatible screens...maybe someone will be kind enough to find me some compatible screens on ebay;) I'm still not sure what I should be searching for

7. mikerec

mikerec Thread Starter

bump I just need to know if I can use an LCD (that one in the link) or do I need an exact match?

8. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

I get mixed results with Google, some sites say LCD and some LED. Does the laptop have an inverter? It is a small rectangular circuit board with two wires, usually white and pink. If so, it is an LCD panel.

9. mikerec

mikerec Thread Starter

Don't think so...It just had one connector going straight into the screen...Do I need an inverter to use an LCD screen or something?

10. PedroHin

PedroHin

Yeah, that's an LED screen then. Since the vast majority of laptop screens are LCD, I think some of the vendors use the term LCD even on LED displays.

There is no way I know of that allows you to convert from LED to LCD. The BIOS of laptop motherboards are very specific to each hardware configuration

11. captainron276

captainron276

First Name:
    Ron
  12. mikerec

mikerec Thread Starter

13. PedroHin

PedroHin

based on the label you provided in the photos above, that is exactly what I would be ordering.

14. mikerec

mikerec Thread Starter

15. PedroHin

PedroHin

You might want to email the seller and find out. I get a bit leary of such things missing.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/992974

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice