1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Laptop screen is blank

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sinned96, Sep 22, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sinned96

sinned96 Thread Starter

This is probably an easy question for you. I have an old IBM Thinkpad 240. I booted it up today and the LCD screen is white. I heard windows 98 sound so it loaded up fine. So I hooked up a ext monitor and it works. But the laptop screen is white. Any ideas what I should do next? Is the LCD screen dead? Should I be looking for a new laptop?

Thanks in advance
    Dennis

2. walkeriam

walkeriam

Dennis,
    Is there an adjustment for bright and dim on it anywhere? Usually there on the right side of the monitor.
    Also, have you tried starting the computer in SAFE MODE?

3. sinned96

sinned96 Thread Starter

I haven't tried safe mode, But I have tried the dimmer button all that does is dimmer the white screen. It works fine with an external monitor So I'm thinking something went screwy with the laptop screen

4. walkeriam

walkeriam

If it don't work in SAFE MODE, your thinking may be right.
    Do you know how to start it into SAFE MODE?

5. sinned96

sinned96 Thread Starter

Im not sure Could you tell me and I will try it?

6. walkeriam

walkeriam

Turn OFF your computer. Hold down on the CTRL key and push the Power Button. You should get a STARTUP MENU where you can choose SAFE MODE.

If that don't get you there try tapping the F8 key after you first start your computer until you get the STARTUP MENU.

7. sinned96

sinned96 Thread Starter

Hmm strange I turned it on normal and it works I'm totally lost as to why I got a white screen before. Everything seems to be fine now. Well I think I better run some checks on it. Would scandisk and defrag help at all. Thanks for your help I'll be back if it happens again.

8. walkeriam

walkeriam

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt anything. It may be a sign of a driver going bad. You may want to visit DEVICE MANAGER and update the drivers.

Glad you got it going!
    Have a good day.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice