1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! LCD Flat panel monitor is dimmer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shawntay, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shawntay

shawntay Thread Starter

Hi...

I was on the computer last night when my power flicked. It shut my computer off. So I turned it back on...and ever since then, (which was last night) the colors on my monitor have been different. I believe the colors are dimmer. :confused:

For example, when you search something on Google...that horizontal bar that runs across the screen that displays the number of results your search contains...well that bar is nearly pink/purple!

Any ways I can maybe fix this?

I have an LCD Flat panel monitor. It's a Northgate computer if that helps anything.

Thanks!
    Shawn

2. unbidden

unbidden

Just a few thoughts to try one at a time:

System Restore.

Go to the Device Manager and 'Remove' the current monitor - then reboot the pc.

Uninstall - reinstall your graphics card drivers.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Have you adjusted the brighness/contrast settings for the monitor?

Most newer monitors have default resets and self-adjust controls as well.

There is also a "gamma" setting available through your Display card settings that can affect this.

4. shawntay

shawntay Thread Starter

What should the brightness/contrast settings be?

5. shawntay

shawntay Thread Starter

Ok, I tried the Device Manager and uninstalled my monitor and rebooted.

I'm not sure if it worked though...it didn't seem like it even uninstalled. I still saw the monitor and i didn't have to do anything after i restarted my computer. is that normal?

Anyways...that didn't work.

I still don't know how to fix this problem.

Thanks,
    Shawn

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

What is the brand and model number of the LCD monitor?

You can usually find the right adjustment buttons just by experimentation, but we can look for a manual if you don't have one.

Also the monitor's inf/driver file should be installed.

When you remove a monitor from the Device Manager Windows should redetect it on reboot and tell you it has found new hardware and install default drivers for it automatically.

If you want the vendor's drivers, you have to install those manually.

7. shawntay

shawntay Thread Starter

I believe the brand is Northgate Innovations. and this booklet i found about the monitor has a number on the back that reads: MAU-EZ15G-1A0A

Inside the manual it says if the display on the monitor is too dark or bright, it says Check to see if the video output level of the computer is within the spec.

I'm not sure exactly what that means.

Thanks,
    Shawn

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Does this monitor not have any adjustment controls -- and the manual a pictorial on their usage?

As for the display card -- go to Display settings in the Control Panel (or right click on the desktop and select "properties".

Then select the "advanced" menu. Is there a "color" or other tab there with adjustments for brightness, contrast, and gamma?

9. shawntay

shawntay Thread Starter

Yes, it has adjustment controls if you're referring to the brightness/contrast settings that you can change on the side of the monitor. The brightness is at 100 while the contrast is at 51. Normal?

Oh wait..I found this one thing in the Advanced tab...i think this is the answer to it!!

Its the S3 Gamma Plus tab...it has these 3 balls for the Gamma, Brightness, and Contrast.
    I can move around with my mouse and it gets darker/brighter as I move it in different directions. I'm not sure what the 'exact' numbers should be though. Gamma is set at 1.11 right now, brightness: 1.00 and contrast: 1.00

10. shawntay

shawntay Thread Starter

I clicked Default to hopefully make it how it would normally should be..which put them all at 1.00 but i'm pretty sure that isn't right. it's still too dark i believe. i can't find the right adjustment.

is there a certain adjustment it should be?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If the monitor is too dim at a brightness setting of 100, then it is failing.

You can compensate for this somewhat by using the advanced display setting controls for brightness and gamma, but this will be a temporary workaround at best.

Too much brightness however will give a washed out effect. So will too much gamma. You need to balance the brightness, contrast, and gamma for best results. It's often a matter of taste and environmental conditions as well.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice