1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Loaded XP and now "invalid boot.ini" file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by laraejan, Jul 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laraejan

laraejan Thread Starter

Golly I'm at my wits end here. I just had to reformat my hard drive - OK no problem. So then I had to reload Windows XP Pro - now every time I start my computer up, it just says "invalid boot.ini file" and forces me to start up from the XP Disk - no Windows... I have rebuilt the boot.ini file from Microsoft support (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184) and still don't have any luck - it just keeps telling me that the boot.ini file is invalid again at startup. I've also copied the boot.ini file from my other computer and copied the file using the Recovery console. I'm now re-formatting the drive for the 3rd time today to make sure it's all a clean install, but keep getting that same darn error upon start and can't load Windows.

Here are the specs of the computer:
    Dimension 4300 1.6GHz
    320GB Western Digital Hard Drive (10 months old)
    New copy of Microsoft Windows XP Professional w/SP2
    512MB RAM

Thanks in advance for your help on this! I'm really at the end here!:(

2. Jimmy the Hand

Jimmy the Hand

After rebuilding boot.ini, run the "Fixboot" command in the Recovery Console. It will install a new boot sector to your system partition.

3. laraejan

laraejan Thread Starter

It's working - yea! Thank you so much for your help and quick reply!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!