1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Login screen is Black w/ white arrow and can't start except safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by teachkwald, Nov 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teachkwald

teachkwald Thread Starter

I posted this on the malware thread, too, but I'm not sure if it goes there or here:

My husband got HDD Control malware on his computer (XP SP2) this morning and has spent all day trying to get it off. He used a suggestion in the forum of trying Superantispywear and it seemed to work. However, after about 20 min of being able to use his computer again, it started to randomly play bits of audio (again), but he did have control of the computer again. That wasn't OK. He updated the SuperAntispyware and tried to scan again. He was skype chatting to friends during the scan and he decided to close some windows. The computer slowed to a crawl and he had to restart.

Well, we did various things to try and get it started (safe mode, etc), but the main problem now is that he can't get past the login screen. It's black w/ the white arrow. That's it. Nothing else.

He can get it to boot in save mode, but that's about it.

He doesn't have a Windows CD (his computer didn't come w/ it) so he can't use window's application.

any help is desperately needed!

Thanks,

Kara

2. monroe444

monroe444

Hi Kara,

I got this trojan today too, and it took me all evening to fix.

First I tried Avast but I got part way into its scan twice and my computer shut down. For a while it wouldn't let me do anything, not even open Chrome to go online, but after another shut down and restart, it allowed me to open Chrome. This time I did not touch or try to shut the fake warning pop up.

I went to Microsoft.com and downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials (free) and scanned my computer. It took a long time but it found the trojan and then deleted it. After restarting, everything seems back to normal, I just had to delete the HDD Control desktop icon.

Maybe if you keep rebooting it will eventually restart so that you can do something. Otherwise, I'd take it to a repair place and see if they can get it to restart for you and then use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Good luck

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964415

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice