Help! lost email in Outlook 2003--I just repaired Word

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

libbyinabq

What I did wrong: I couldn't get the Word 2003 to install a clean normal.dot, so after trying to trick it into making a new clean template, I used the repair option on the menu inside Word.

It went through its thing, asked for the original disk to find a file and said it was complete. (Only weird thing was I asked for all defaults, not to save customization, but it did anyway.) Now my normal.dot is fine.

It also completely wiped out my email--all records, plane and motel reservations, doctor communications, calendar, contacts--the works. WHY? Since when did Word control Outlook?

I haven't exported for many months so I have no recent backup, but I know somewhere on the hard drive the files must exist. At least I hope they do. I used to teach Outlook--but 2003 is a puzzle to me.

How do I get all my data back? I am using HTTP email--MSN DSL and mail is taken off the web when it is delivered to me, so no backups there.

Help! Libby :eek:

Outlook 2003 uses a PST file (just like the earlier versions), so if you taught earlier versions there should be nothing different in that area that would be of concern.

Check your hard drive for .PST files.

And please, never rely solely on hard drive storage for such important data, they too can die without warning.

Some free solutions would include opening a free Gmail account and setting a diversion at your email inbox at the ISP that delivers a copy of every email received to the Gmail address. Gmail then becomes an offsite repository of all your email that you can access in cases such as this.

My recommendation, once you find the file, is to configure Outlook's data file with a location and name you can remember. For example, putting it right in My Documents and name it something like libby.pst

libbyinabq

Thanks--

that gave me the courage to go go file/ open /outlook data file. I have my info back, I think, but I have two sets of personal folders now.

Guess I will just have to buy a book on this--the "data files" have choices I don't know enough to make, so I have avoided them. I have 3 accounts coming in that I would like to have two hit the inbox, but that is still a mystery to me. I will have to find out how to fix the folder list so just the basics show instead of all the bars and the extra set of folders I just made.

I'd prefer easy instructions on microsoft --but they just tell how to do the easy things, like sending mail or else on these data files--they explain a few things using terms I don't recognize any more.

I promise to back up more often and check out Gmail, too. I have hesitated to put my mail on another public place--not that I have great secrets--just orders, emailed passwords, etc. to keep private.

Appreciate the help immensely--all of you!!!

Libby

It sounds like you added a PST file rather than just configure Outlook to use the original one. That's why two personal folders are showing up.

To configure Outlook 2003 to use an existing PST file right from the beginning, see:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/app_info/outlook_xp.htm#existing_pst

Do it all the time. Much faster than importing all that information. Also lets you put the PST file exactly where you want with whatever name you want. I like to keep it in a My Documents \ E-Mail folder. Much easier to find and back up that way.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online