1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Lost "program files" folders

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by einjhelle, Nov 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. einjhelle

einjhelle Thread Starter

recently i've got infected by malwares and tried to fix it using mcafee stinger and it fix my computer, but suddenly when I looked into my drives most of the folders are missing or somewhat the path are missing. I thought the folders are just hidden but it completely deleted or lost but still my programs are intact and working, already tried using unhider and registry fixer but to no avail still cant locate my folder files. help tq for any responses.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

If your programs run, the folders must be there.

Right-click a shortcut and choose "Open File Location" to see where it brings you.

You may need to reinstall. If you had made backups, then you would not have lost anything. But if you start fresh, you will have to reinstall everything from scratch. Viruses do damage and it is not fixed by removing the virus. Make backups from now on. Your hard drive will die, too, maybe sooner than later.

3. einjhelle

einjhelle Thread Starter

yes the folder's there but I couldn't get there if I go through the drives. As I remembered while doing antivirus scan I saw some folder.exe being deleted could It somehow be restored its frustrating that its there but I couldn't managed to see it. Thanks anyway for the advice from now on I'll make back ups from time to time.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try navigating around from that folder once you get into it. Can you go up one level to Program Files and see anything?

There is a very good chance that you still have some infection left. It might be a good idea to go to the Viruses & Malware forum and ask for some help in cleaning up. A rootkit could still be taking over control before Windows boots and hiding things.

For backups, it's good to have another hard drive, internal or external. Then you can back up your whole system for when things like this happen, or for when your hard drive dies.

Free drive backup software (imaging, cloning, and archiving - backups can be created on a second hard drive, internal or external, or on DVD's, or BluRay disks. One BluRay disk will hold most peoples' entire system drive's backup at 25 GB's using compressed images):

Paragon Backup & Recovery (Recovery boot CD or USB key)
    Macrium Reflect (Free)
    O&O Disk Image Express
    Easeus Todo Backup
    Redo Backup & Recovery (Boot CD)
    Comodo Time Machine (Complete system, files, programs, and settings restoration, but not "bare-metal" for failed drive)
    Clonezilla Live (A bootable CD of Debian with Clonezilla.)
    Drive Image XML
    PING (Partimage is not Ghost) (Boot CD with option Clam Antivirus)
    Partition Saving
    Clonezilla
    Passmark OSFClone (Bootable, cloning only)

There are also many commercial products with more features.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!