1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help, lots of my Windows 7 files have been corrupted or are missing

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kapustin Yar, Apr 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

hi Gang,

I don't know how it happened, I probably got overly ambitious with a disk cleanup utility and now several functions of windows 7 don't work. New updates don't install, other updates that I DID install are missing, I am unable to run certain games, and I can't run SFC /scannow.

However virus scan updates appear to be fine.

What is the best way to fix this? I have an old backup I did with Norton Ghost on disk but something is wrong with the second disk so I can't use to to reinstall the entire backup but I might be able to extract some old files if I knew which ones to extract.

I am running Window Seven Home Premium. It is a legal copy. I got it directly from Microsoft.

If I try to run SFC /scannow from Windows I cannot get it to show up or do anything. Its like I never did anything. If I try to run SFC /scannow from the boot CD using this command

sfc /scannow /offbootdir=f:\ /offwindir=f:\windows

I get this error messge:

Windows Resource Protection Could not run the repair service
    IF I try to run the repair outlined here:

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/f...the-repair-service-when-running-sfc-in-vista/

I get an error saying Windows cannot find the file specified.

My computer specs are

desktop:
    Drive C: W7 Home Premium 80GB NTFS (IDE)
    Drive D: WinXP Pro sp2 80GB NTFS (IDE)
    Drive E : Storage 80gb (IDE)
    Drive F and G DVDR's

Seagate 400GB Sata Storage 2 Partitions
    Seagate 400GB USB Storage 2 Partitions (external)
    Phenom II 5500 (3.2ghz) CPU
    4GB DDR3 Ram
    Nvidia 9500GT PCIE 1GB video card
    Creative 128bit sound card
    ASROCK M3A770DE Mobo
    Earthlink DSL 6000bps
    Floppy drive, 56K dialup, Optical Mouse, Keyboard, 21" CRT

2. OVERLORDCHAOS

OVERLORDCHAOS

you might be looking a full windows reinstall.
    did you change any config or install anything before this happened?
    did you change any setting?
    try to run a full virus scan on all the pc.
    then open a command window and type this:
    chkdsk C: /R /F /X
    will ask fr a reboot. be patient will review all the files, empty space and all the disk surface for errors.
    if it found any and fixes it, its ok. if it founds errors and cannot be fixed your hard disk or partition may be damaged.
    i warn you, this scan tan take from 30 minutes to 8 hours. but on a fast pc generally less than 2 hours.

3. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

4. OVERLORDCHAOS

OVERLORDCHAOS

well to install windows again... sorry but its too long to explain look some guide here.
    how much time has pass by since that windows 7 its installed?
    if its over 6 months its time for a format and a reinstall.
    dont use ccleaner. its really bad.

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Have you tried Windows System Restore? If that doesn't work or if have turned it off. You are probably looking sat a fresh installation of windows and all you programs and files.

Using system cleaners is something that is recommended against as they frequently cause more problems than they could fix. What has probably happened is this System Cleaner has hosed your registry.

A program such as Acronis True Image csan be a life saver. After getting your system up and running the way you like it, make an image of the system to external media, like an external HDD, DVDs can be used but will usually take a number of them and is slower. This way if your system is hosed like this, or even if yur HDD dies, all you do is install the new HDD, restore the image and you are and running in minutes (20 or so) rather than hours.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/991509

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice