1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help - low quality uploads

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by chelledelirious8, Dec 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chelledelirious8

chelledelirious8 Thread Starter

Sorry, I know this is a pretty random issue. I have a Canon Powershot SX10IS.. when I upoad pictures onto iPhoto they look really large and sharp. However, when I upload my photos onto Facebook, they are really small and low-quality. I've actually had a few people ask why my pictures look so small.
    Is there some setting on my camera I can try and change so as to fix this? I feel that I have a pretty decent camera and I'm sad that my pictures look terrible! :(

Thank you!!

2. wowzer

wowzer

My first thought is facebook is doing the resizeing/quality... I gather you are sending the same high rez/large size picture.

I doubt it's anything to do with a camera setting.

Does facebook have a size limit you can post without an automatic resizing take charge?

3. chelledelirious8

I'm not sure? But that makes sense. So, hypothetically, if I lower the resolution/size of my photos, they may appear larger when uploaded?

4. wowzer

wowzer

Basicly yes, is my guess.

If you bring it down to within their max pixel size as well as total file size it should not be affected by their auto resize feature, assuming they have one.

5. chelledelirious8

I'll give it a try! Thanks for your time :)

6. wowzer

wowzer

let us know if that was the issue...

good luck

7. chelledelirious8

Seems that the issue was with iPhoto? o_O
    I tried everything else - adjusting the image size, resetting my camera to its original settings, etc.
    The only thing that helped was uploading my pictures onto a PC and then onto Facebook, rather than using my Mac.

Problem solved, and thanks!

8. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Facebook downsizes.

9. chelledelirious8

Yes, but my pictures were *really* downsized when I uploaded them from iPhoto rather from a file on my fiance's PC. Not sure why that is, but I tried both ways and it made a huge difference.

10. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

This appears accurate, then:

11. wowzer

wowzer

I agree. it should have no bearing whether it's done from a mac or pc, if done correctly.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!