Help Making a copy of my C: drive

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n1ml

I have 2 120GB disks. I am running Windows 2000 Pro.
I have partitioned the first disk to be 2 60 GB partitions with my operating system on the C:.
The second 120 Gb is what I use for my personal files, DVD backup/authoring and digital pics.
I want to have an image of my C: just in case something goes wrong or I get a real bad failure.
Presently, I made an image of C: on the D: using Maxtor's maxblast. (same physical drive)
Both drives are Maxtor. Should I make an image on the second hard drive, my computer labeled it as G:. There are two CD ROM/DVD drives in the computer.
Can I still use the D: as a good place for the mirror backup? Will I be able to boot from there if the C: dies?
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
Mark

You can put the image whichever drive or partition you like (other than C:). But since anything can fail, I would also recommend making a backup of that image as well.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd consider something like Acronis True Image for backups. That way you can make compressed image files that don't take an entire partition, they're only as large as the compressed data from the boot partition. Obviously, I'd follow Bob's advice and put the backup image on a different physical drive, since one of the things you're trying to protect against is hardware failure. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online