1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Making Vista Boot!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Rowan06, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rowan06

Rowan06 Thread Starter

Hey,

When I turn off my computer and insert the Vista Ultimate DVD and set my first device to boot as my CDRom it doesnt work. It goes to the bit telling you about something to do with the DVD cant remember what exactly, but on that note it just freezes, nothing happens, my drive wont even open or anything.

I read about and I heard it could be something to do with updating your BIOS drivers or something, if this is true how do I find out what my BIOS make is so I can go and get drivers for them.

Or if you know how else I can sort this problem please help.

When the computer is on I can run the DVD and then do a Upgrade install, but I want to be able to delete my whole partition and start fresh with vista. But like I said, I cant get the disc to run on startup of the computer so im going nowhere fast.

Please help me as im dying to get this Vista problem sorted.

Kindest regards,

Rowan

2. Rowan06

Rowan06 Thread Starter

Ok just to give you a proper update, I tryed doing it there, and this is the stuff I found out:

I think that my BIOS is a PHOENIX AWARD BIOS V6.00

And also, when I tryed to boot the CD again this is the error I got:

COULDN'T FIND BOOTMGR

Now I looked on the DVD and you can clearly see it is there:
    [​IMG]

Also, if that is not my bios to update is this it:
    Chaintech SK8T800
    So can someone please help me out on what I should do?

3. camberry

camberry

I have the same motherboard with the same bios (6.0) and I am having this exact problem when I boot up a fresh intstall of Vista Home Premium. :mad:

If I leave the Vista DVD in the DVD-ROM it will use the bootloader from the DVD to let me boot from the HD, but I will get the BOOTMGR error if I take the DVD out.

Also, I have an adaptec avc-3610 usb dual NTSC tuner that will not get enough data streaming so i can record and watch live TV.

I wonder if both of the problems have to due with the mobo drivers or perhaps a bios update

Chaintech does not offer any vista drivers. :(

4. camberry

camberry

I dug around a bit more and found out that for some reason if you install Vista onto a SATA drive and you have another drive on the system that is PATA that vista will for some reason install the BOOMGR ont he PATA drive.

Solution:
    1. Shutdown computer
    2. Unhook the PATA drive
    3. Turn on computer and boot with Vista DVD into the windows installer
    4. Instead of install select repair at the bottom.
    5. If it doesnt do it automatically select the startup repair
    6. It will prompt you to retart
    7. You should now be able to restart without the DVD
    8. Now shutdown your computer again and you should be able to hook up your PATA drive and reboot just fine!

This works for me I hope it works for you :D

Now if I can just find out how to fix that USB tuner :-/

5. pichen

pichen

Hi
    I can't open the notebook, so...is there another solution to solve this problem? Or is it to fix by software??
    Thanks for your help :)
    pi

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!