1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Me Before I Go Nuts!!!!!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lady18wheels, Oct 20, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lady18wheels

Lady18wheels Thread Starter

Microsoft Works Spreadsheet Version 6.0

What's the key combination to enter the date or time in a cell?

I've spent the last 24 hours searching all over the internet, and now most of my hair is on the floor!

2. AnyKey

AnyKey

How about this formula for the date? =now()
    Sorry I can't test it out for you.
    AK

3. Lady18wheels

That'll work, but I need the entries to remain constant once they're in the cell.

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Try $ in front of it. Can't try it

5. XL Guru

XL Guru

Re: the options suggested by Tom Ogilvy in microsoft.public.misc.excel (where you posted this question earlier & there was a misunderstanding as to which program was being used).

The shortcuts actually work in Excel and Works (my version 5 [2000]).

Hit the key with ";" on it while holding down CTRL for the current date.

Hit the same key but while holding down CTRL and Shift for current.

I note you have Works 6, but doubt this would have changed post version 5.

Rgds,
    Andy

6. Lady18wheels

Dear Andy,
    thank you for making me feel less foolish for using the Excel forum.
    I SWEAR this is what I'm doing - holding down the Ctrl button and pressing the ; key. Nothing happens.
    Is it possible that my spreadsheet is broken? or something?

7. XL Guru

XL Guru

Disaster! Stuff I found on Google suggests (can't check) that the shortcuts are missing/removed from Works versions 6 and 7.

You can use the =NOW() function. This returns a number, ie: 37914.6081365741 or thereabouts (# of days since 1/1/1900).

But after that, you would have to Format -- Number -- Date and choose your format.

And to hardcode it (keep from updating), you'd have to copy, then Edit -- Paste Special -- Values Only.

Or I found this for v7 which may work in v6 (again, can't check) -

1. Insert
    2. Date and Time
    3. Select Date/Time
    4. Click Insert

HTH,
    Andy

8. Lady18wheels

Bless your heart! I feel a little better knowing it could be Microsoft's fault. (BTW - thanks for the post on the Excel site. I had an answer for the guy too.) Going to call Gateway when they open.

9. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

Hotwheels,

Check to see that your CTRL button is functional by testing another control shortcut like hit CTRL A and see if it selects the whole page or CTRL F and the FIND window pops up. Use the right hand CTRL button if that is the one you are using for the DATE.

- Castleheart :)

.....but while holding down CTRL and Shift for current time .

10. Lady18wheels

Castleheart,
    A wonderful guy on the Microsoft community board tried the keys on his version. It didn't work on his either. Now I'm convinced it just isn't there.

Do you really look like this? Hotwheels? My truck only goes 72mph with the "petal to the metal", as they say.

I appreciate your time.

11. CastleHeart

CastleHeart

A wonderful guy on the Microsoft community board tried the keys on his version. It didn't work on his either. Now I'm convinced it just isn't there. You're probably right. I was typing my response while Andy was posting his. But it was a tip worth tipping so I left it.

Do you really look like this?

No. But I wouldn't want to scare you! :eek: Actually I have a very good smile photo of me - but they made me hold up a card with numbers at the bottom so I didn't want to use it! :D

Hotwheels? My truck only goes 72mph with the "petal to the metal", as they say.

Dear Wheels: FLOWERS have PETALS and TRUCK have PEDALS! (I'll issue you a temporary poet license to get you off the hook... !) I did 72 in my truck too. A month ago. I had to pay $225 to make it go away!

I appreciate your time.
    ... and I appreciate everyones! (y)

- C :D

12. Lady18wheels

LMAO!
    In the "land of fruits and nuts" - CA that is - it cost me $750 to make it go away. (Limit for big trucks is 55 statewide)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice