1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help me build a cost effective computer to play CounterStrike Source smoothly

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aarunt1, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. aarunt1

aarunt1 Thread Starter

I dont play games too much but Ive recently started playing CSS much more than CS and my laptop can't keep it going smoothly for more than 10 mins(fps drop to 15fps I dont know why but nothing I do seems to work). The desktop I have at my house is a weak Sony 1.8ghz P4 with only AGP 4x support.

Anyways I would like to build a cost effective Single Core system that would be able to handle CSS at a constant 60+ fps. Earlier I was looking at a few motherboards and this is what I came up with.

Either a ASUS P5GD2 or Abit AW8-MAX motherboard
    Pentium 4 640 3.2ghz overclocked to 4.0ghz
    FSB overclocked to 1066Mhz
    256mb PCI-E Video card (unsure which yet)
    1GB 667 DDR2 (upgrade to 2GB eventually)

I have heard good things about Athlon 64's as well but I don't know too much about them. Would a overclocked Athlon 64 4000+ at 3.0ghz would be better than the 4.0ghz P4? Also what would be a good motherboard to go with the Athlon?

Please let me know if this is overkill for what I'm trying to accomplish. Should I just try to upgrade my 1.8ghz P4 machine? And please make your own recommendations for me as well :D Thanks

2. spiker_22

spiker_22

First Memory is Cheap and getting cheaper. Just saw @G of OCZ going for about 60 bucks.
    2nd you might want to consider the core duo 4300 or 6300. While they cost more than the P4 ( I see newegg has it for about 81.00. The chip is not something to skimp on. These two chips are replacing the Pentium D(not REAL dual core) as a budget overclocker. Also eyeball the gigabyte DS3 board.

3. aarunt1

aarunt1 Thread Starter

Why the dual core? Most apps don't support dual core yet I dont think CSS does. Are single cores still generally faster because of this?

4. accat13

accat13

Well I have a p4 520,820 and a e6300....The e6300 is heads and tales above the other two...If you try and overclock the 640(preshott) anywhere near 4.0ghz your going to be spending a fair bit on cooling......If it were me I would spend the extra $'s and go for the e6320.....Good Luck on the video card choice with dx10 cards just starting to arrive.(I decided to wait and got the 7600gt as an interim card) a quick link for some cpu comparisons http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core2duo-shootout_5.html#sect0

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/575318

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice