1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help me build a new computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jvnderwe, Jul 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

Hi guys, I was hoping you could help me make my choice on which parts to buy for my new computer that I will be buying as soon as the Intel price cuts take effect.

I have done some research and pretty much decided on these parts, all of which I will be buying from a local computer store:
    Intel Q6600
    eVGA 8800GTS 320MB
    Seagate 320GB SATA II HD
    Liteon 20X DVD-RW SATA

Now I just need to decide on the motherboard and RAM. Here are the possiblities I've identified for the mobo (prices in CDN$):
    Asus P5K $162
    Asus P5B-VM $130

The P5K supports a 1333MHz FSB, but I don't know if this matters since it will be years before I upgrade again. The P5K will also allow for some overclocking. I'm not really into overclocking, but if I could easily and safely overclock my q6600 with the stock cooler and my above listed setup I might give it a try. Will this be possible? Taking this into account, is the P5K worth the extra $32?

As for the RAM, I suppose that might depend on the answer to the overclocking question. So here are some options (all 2GB):
    Crucial Rendition 667MHz $100
    Crucial Rendition 800MHz $118
    Kingston ValueRAM 667MHz $101
    OCZ 667MHz $109 or $112 w/heatspreader

Kingston HyperX and OCZ Platinum are significantly more expensive, costing about $160 for 2GB.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I wouldn't even want the more expensive board as to me having only usb ports is a horror show of instability. My other suggestion is forget about Ocz ram with a newer board and chipset as it seldom is compatible. Crucial is really the best anyway.

3. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

What exactly do you mean by "only usb ports"? The P5K has eSATA, 1394, and one PS/2 port.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

E sata is a joke as most of those ports do not work. It takes 2 Ps2 ports for mouse and keyboard and I won't buy a printer that is only usb. Plug every input device and all kinds of hard drives, scanner and what not into just usb ports and good luck. I use usb for a scanner because I can't find a 1394 scanner under $400 but that's all I use it for. Too many usb problems. Remove "my usb flash drive, external drive" etc from these forums, and they would have half the posts.

5. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

Hmm, that is news to me. In any case, my printer is usb, my mouse is usb (so I only need one PS/2 port), and the external hard drive I'm using is usb as well. I've never had problems with any of these peripherals.

What about the other advantages of the newer board. Do you think a 1333MHz FSB will be the standard for a long time to come, or will this be irrelevant if I'm not going to upgrade for 3 years (or more)? How about overclocking - will I be able to easily overclock a Q6600 with stock cooling enough to justify the extra money for the newer motherboard? Finally, should I stick with 667MHz RAM, or spend the extra 20 bucks for 800MHz?

6. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

7. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Don't fall into a trap though. As soon as Intel announces a 20% price reduction, they will (at the same) time announce a new processor coming out in 6 months that is 20% faster.

8. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

Yes, there is always something better just around the corner, but I've been waiting long enough already so I'm definitely taking the plunge as soon as these price cuts take effect.

9. Compiler

Compiler

eSATA works very good for me. Backing up a heavy-duty workstation with eSATA is about twice as fast as USB2 - and that particular machine has the faster USB2 in the whole office.

And I've never seen any USB2 problems with printers or scanners (other than damaged ports) - I've some oddities with front USB panels not quite as compatible as rear ones thou... but things like printers and scanners are plugged in the back anywayrs...

1 PS2 port? That is ODD... to me. But as of now, most mice are USB with PS2 adaptors which ADDS more weight to the PS2 connector.... so I guess, it does make some sense.

But the latest system builds I've been doing with USB keyboards/mice have worked FINE with BIOS and setup... With 4 standard ports on the back, (1 mouse, 1 key, 1 printer/scanner) leaves 1 more for a camera and 2 in the front for joystick or data transfer devices.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

Well good for you...but the sheer volume of usb problems on this forum, works against you and I don't really know why we are debating this you asked for opinions and you got mine.
    1366 Fsb is a waste right now as the cpu only uses 1066 anway, though for sure the next wave will be 1333. Do you plan to buy the next new cpu as soon as it comes out?

11. jvnderwe

jvnderwe Thread Starter

Thanks for your opinion Rich - I'll keep it mind when buying future peripherals, but all my current stuff uses usb so I'm stuck with that for now.

I'll being sticking with the Q6600 for quite a while, so I suspect that by the time I'd be interested in upgrading the 1333MHz FSB CPUs will be obsolete. The only remaining question is should I bother spending an extra $30 or so to get a board that will allow me to overclock? Will a Q6600 overclock with stock cooling and a Sonata III?

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

Lol Frank, you have that right. Penryn wll be released probably in the next 60-90 days and it is 20% faster.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595459

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice