1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help me build my Custom Gaming PC..please? =D

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by *SubZero*, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. *SubZero*

*SubZero* Thread Starter

Hello all. My name is Jay, I'm living in the UK. Big post incoming. :D

Okay, I haven't been to this forum for a little while now, but it has helped me in the past and I know its very popular, and has alot of helpful people. :) So, onto the point of the thread.

I have always been a fan of PC gaming, the community, the mods, everything. I love it, BUT I have never actually owned my own gaming PC, I have played on loads, but none are mine unfortunately. :( So I thought, I wonder if there was a place where I could ask people for help on building my own PC, and this site popped into my head.

I had the idea of building one because I've heard from quite a few people that its better to build your own, I suppose so you know everything that is in it, and you can make it as good as you want as long as its in your budget. I have never actually had much experience of the insides of a PC, so that's where you helpful people come in. (I hope) (y)

So, I need quite a bit of help, I need to know, what parts need to actually be in my PC (Mandatory and Optional, I think I know most, but just to be sure) I need to know some recommendations for good parts to go into my PC. I would also need to know the budget for these parts. If you have any more info that would help me, please post it, all help is very appreciated.

I apologize for the long post, but I want to make this PC the best I can. I also thank everyone in advance to the help you give! (y)

2. *SubZero*

*SubZero* Thread Starter

Anyone? :(

3. azariah007

azariah007

Hi be patient around here it can take awhile to get some bites. Here's the thread I've got going currently as you can see I havn't had to many comments from anyone other than me. http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/954925-planning-new-super-gaming-computer.html

I'll post the link here to the spreadsheet I'm working on. Things are a little messy because I'm still figuring out the cheapest place to get the majority of components from but the components list is all there. https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...WxaSlpZeVNvMXhSSjNkWVE&hl=en&authkey=CO_p5IkB

Also I'm laying out a list for a friend the graphics card isn't as over the top but I'm having to open a thread to find out which of the two I'm looking at is better. :)

Any way I'll try to help as much as possible.

So let's dig in.

4. azariah007

azariah007

Ok to start with whatever you do don't buy Intel CPU's unless 1. You can afford to 2. You're buying there most powerful processors. i7 980 and higher and Xeon's.

For a gaming system a AMD Phenom X6 is a good start. The 1055T is still about the same price as some of the higher i5's and lower i7's while offering overall much greater processing power.

Another thing is your choice of MotherBoard manufacturer. Everyone is biased however none more so than I. I work at a PC store and we sell almost nothing but Gigabyte Motherboard's why? Because we rarely have problems with them and they are very easy to setup in a system. We've been building all of our prebuild systems with these boards for years and rarely do they come back with motherboard problems.

Another thing is deciding which chipset. Unfortunately most AMD motherboards have ATI based chipsets. http://www.thermaltake.outervision.com/ Therefore you can't use Nvidia cards if you wish to make a multi card system. Annoying when you prefer Nvidia over ATI and have a card you were intending to use for PhysX but that's the way it goes. But if your just doing a single card setup then you can use Nvidia if you prefer.

Now power supplies are very very important. This webpage by Thermaltake will allow you to decide what size power supply you need although it's always a good idea to get a 100 watt or more on top of the figure given if you wish to add other devices later. Very good idea to stick with well known PSU manufacturers. Thermaltake, Antec, OCZ, and I'm sure there are others but these are the main ones.

HDD's are the next big decision. You could go for a RAID 0+1 setup although you'll only get the capacity of 2 of those HDD's becuase the data is mirrored onto the other 2 HDD's. Very good for media PC's if you were planning on gaming though I would suggest a small SSD to keep your OS and games that you most play on. And a 1Tb or greater drive for all of your media and games that either won't benefit from a super fast drive or that you don't play very often. Now a Western Digital Black Edition drive or Seagate equivalent would be a still very fast drive and they aren't to expensive.

Cases are a matter of personal preferance but things to look at are how many 5.25" bays are available for optical drives, fan controllers, and other personalization things. Very important when you look at the devices I'm probably going to end up with in my system. Also the Number of HDD's you want to put in are important.

There are some stickies in this hardware forum which you should have a squiz at, they'll give a few pointers for you to follow including assembly instructions. So have a look at those too.

If you have any specific questions post them here and I'll have a go answering them for you. :D

5. *SubZero*

*SubZero* Thread Starter

Thanks for the post! :D Very helpful.

6. *SubZero*

*SubZero* Thread Starter

@azariah007, Would THIS be a decent machine for a gaming? Are the parts good for gaming? Seemed quite a good deal for £600.

7. azariah007

azariah007

Hmmmm...... Not bad really. I would advise if you really enjoy your music or playing FPS games then adding the £19 audio card would be a good idea. I don't know what the conversion rate is to convert to AU$ but I'd take a guess at around $40 so that's quite good for a sound card of that caliber. I paid about the same for my sound card a year ago.

It's a fairly good system but. It's still over priced when compared to looking at building your own system which I thought you were looking at originally. However for a pre-build that's OK. The GTS 450 will play Crysis on High settings. The CPU is only a Quad core but... Unless your intending on making maps for games or other process intensive things then it should be fine.

It's got an ASUS Motherboard I'd expect problems with it but there are plenty of people on this forum that haven't had any problems with them so it should be fine. Just be aware that down the track as the board ages you may experience unusual problems that you mightn't get with a Gigabyte board. These are all mights and it depends on who you talk to as to weather these boards have more problems than others so let's just forget the motherboard it'll do the job well enough.

No USB 3, big downer for me, but then again I haven't heard of to many ASUS boards that have USB 3 yet. They're probably waiting until there are internal connectors for front panel USB 3. Gigabyte has divide in head first and many case manufacturers are supplying people with work arounds to the problem like running cables through the case out the back to connect to the motherboard externally. And so far it's working fine.

Good amount of RAM which is rare. If you like the case go ahead. I don't really like the look of it but that's just me, it's your computer. :)

8. azariah007

azariah007

Also I noticed that that X4 is a black edition it's made for those looking at over-clocking so either go for the one above or below unless your looking at over-clocking in which case you should be shelling out for an after-market cooler. :D

Just thought I'd let you know. :)

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/957207

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice