help me choose a new mobo and video card.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

hruiz14

My motherboard is going bad (i believe) and I need help choosing a new Motherboard and video card to go with it as i am not to knowledgable on this subject. I have a cheap Video card now so i want a new one of those too. I don't want something very expensive but i also don't want cheap, so something intermidiate. Here is what i currently have:
ABIT NF7 Motherboeard
AMD Athlon 2.08GHz Socket A
(2) Corsair 256MB DDR RAM

I might want new RAM as well so please give me some recommendations. All advice will be appreciated. Thanks

i have an asus a7v8x-x board i seem to like. then use the rest of budget for a videocard. and ram it all depends on how much you want to spend.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
If you want a new motherboard, video card, and possibly memory then you really should be looking at getting a new CPU as well. Socket A is in its death bed, AMD has since introduced the 754 and the 939 sockets, and the M2 is coming in the not so distant future.

The new Athlon64's based on the 939 socket absolutely smoke compare to the Athlon XP's. And they still use 184 pin DDR so you could re-use your current memory even if its not PC3200 if cost is an issue. But this upgrade would allow you to get a PCI-Express video, which are the new wave of video cards that generally are priced cheaper then their AGP counterparts and offer a better selection of mid to high range cards.

You would, however, need a new 24 pin power supply for the new motherboard.

So its up to you and how much do you want to spend.

hruiz14

Thanks for the help guys. I was looking at spending just around $100 for a Mobo for now. But i guess i really should probably upgrade my CPU. I just found this on atacom.com :

AMD ATHLON 64 3200+(2.0GHZ) VENICE SOCKET939 L2-512 90NM ADA3200BPBOX $175.95

Is this pretty good? This is probably affordable for me right now along with a new motherboard. Plus this company is within 10 min. driving distance so i could save on shipping. I don't use my Computer for gaming. I mostly use it for work, internet and music.

Triple6

Rob
Retired Moderator
Yeah, thats pretty good. If you don't do any gaming then any old Radeon or Geforce card will do you fine. It's really up to you which route you go, you mentioned the video card so I made an assumption you might be into gaming, which is really one of the only places the video card makes a difference unless you have a really old card or an integrated graphics chips. Autocad and 3D modeling are also dependent on the video card to an extent.

But here's a CPU comparison chart: http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.html?modelx=33&model1=269&model2=247&chart=75
I've selected the Athlon XP3200+(2.2Ghz, 512KB cache, 400Mhz FSB) and the Athlon64 3200+(2.0Ghz, 512KB cache, 200Mhz bus). The XP3200+ was the only socket A processor in the list, it actually runs 200Mhz faster then the Athlon64 3200+ and your processor(your CPU I'm guessing is the XP2800+). The Athlon64 3200+ outperforms the XP3200+ in almost every benchmark, in some its not even close.

hruiz14

OK thanks thats really helpful. I think i'm going to go with that one, now i just need to choose a motherboard to go with it. Also i think i need new RAM as I have PC3000. I can't use these with that processor right?

Excuse me for piggybacking onto your thread, but I am also looking at getting 2 new computers (not just upgrading) but still the central decision is which MOBO/CPU/video card.

I've been advised (in other threads) about going for the 939 pin, AMD CPU and to have PCIe on the MOBO.

So with Triple6 also saying so, looks like that's the way to go - I see you have PCIe already on your (Triple6) system. Is it really that much better than AGP? I'm prepared to pay a little more if it is worth it.

I posted earlier a MOBO for opinions - maybe you're not familiar with it but in case you missed my post it's here:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/430138-opinions-gigabyte-ga-k8n51gmf-4-1-mobo.html

ozegirl said:
Excuse me for piggybacking onto your thread, but I am also looking at getting 2 new computers (not just upgrading) but still the central decision is which MOBO/CPU/video card.

I've been advised (in other threads) about going for the 939 pin, AMD CPU and to have PCIe on the MOBO.

So with Triple6 also saying so, looks like that's the way to go - I see you have PCIe already on your (Triple6) system. Is it really that much better than AGP? I'm prepared to pay a little more if it is worth it.

I posted earlier a MOBO for opinions - maybe you're not familiar with it but in case you missed my post it's here:

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/430138-opinions-gigabyte-ga-k8n51gmf-4-1-mobo.html
oh sure T6 says something and now all of a sudden it rings with truth;) oh sorry me and my socket A are on our dealth bed:D cough, cough....sooo cold......

Triple6 said:
Yeah, thats pretty good. If you don't do any gaming then any old Radeon or Geforce card will do you fine. It's really up to you which route you go, you mentioned the video card so I made an assumption you might be into gaming, which is really one of the only places the video card makes a difference unless you have a really old card or an integrated graphics chips. Autocad and 3D modeling are also dependent on the video card to an extent.
For autocad i actually noticed very little difference between a $1000 Quadro 980xgl card and my 9500pro until the models get really large, part of the problem is I cant use hw acceleration with the ATI card.

oh sure T6 says something and now all of a sudden it rings with truth
On my other thread I received advice from yourself & others that seemed to indicate that AMD 939 & PCI express were the "current flavour" so long as my budget would hold out.

After looking at my budget options, I realised I might have to settle for less, in terms of MOBO & video but I'm still looking at ways of cutting corners elsewhere. I agree that the better money should be put into the MOBO & video card....which is why I am still asking questions about a PCIe MOBO....

Sorry in no way did I intend to make it look as though I was dismissing your advice or anyone's advice if that is how it appeared to you. T6's comment just reinforced what had already been said, it wasn't new wisdom.

ozegirl said:
On my other thread I received advice from yourself & others that seemed to indicate that AMD 939 & PCI express were the "current flavour" so long as my budget would hold out.

After looking at my budget options, I realised I might have to settle for less, in terms of MOBO & video but I'm still looking at ways of cutting corners elsewhere. I agree that the better money should be put into the MOBO & video card....which is why I am still asking questions about a PCIe MOBO....

Sorry in no way did I intend to make it look as though I was dismissing your advice or anyone's advice if that is how it appeared to you. T6's comment just reinforced what had already been said, it wasn't new wisdom.
jus teasing you:D hey how many winks and smilely faces ya want? as i recall your budget is right on the edge, I think everyone agrees that you really should go 939 with pcie slot, i think most of us will say stick with NForce chipset, not SLI gets expensive, and go low end gfx card to start 6200, if your boys get into gaming then hey make them work part time to save some money for a better card

Yeah agreed.....:D There's one back for you!

I have tried to drag out of one of my sons what games he intends to play to try & sort this whole thing out....mind you I'd rather he wasn't playing games.

Anyway I think I might have a get out of jail free card because he said:

"I just want a damn computer that works & doesn't freeze every time I open an image" :mad:

I can't see that they are going to get into much gaming....apart from Half-life they don't have any games to play & you're right they would have to buy them....I'm not spending any more after paying for 2 new computers! (Mind you his computer is pretty bad & this year he is in Year 12 which is our final year here in Australia).

My thoughts are that I will get a MOBO with the PCIe & onboard graphics or a cheaper card - I'm sure that will be more than enough compared to what they have at present. Maybe a card for a birthday.

hruiz14

OK I just looked at what processor i have and it turns out its not the one i had, its actually older:( Its an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.85GHz. I thought I had a better one but i guess not. I finally got around to updating my bios and installed new MOBO drivers and my problem seems to have gone away. So i can save my money now and get an even better system in a couple months. I really appreciate all the help and advice and would still like to recieve more as it is very helpful to me and others that are browsing this thread. Thanks again.

ozegirl said:
Yeah agreed.....:D There's one back for you!

I have tried to drag out of one of my sons what games he intends to play to try & sort this whole thing out....mind you I'd rather he wasn't playing games.

Anyway I think I might have a get out of jail free card because he said:

"I just want a damn computer that works & doesn't freeze every time I open an image" :mad:

I can't see that they are going to get into much gaming....apart from Half-life they don't have any games to play & you're right they would have to buy them....I'm not spending any more after paying for 2 new computers! (Mind you his computer is pretty bad & this year he is in Year 12 which is our final year here in Australia).

My thoughts are that I will get a MOBO with the PCIe & onboard graphics or a cheaper card - I'm sure that will be more than enough compared to what they have at present. Maybe a card for a birthday.
("I just want a damn computer that works & doesn't freeze every time I open an image" )

get this in writing;) then anytime there is a complaint, you can bring it out, "I see here in Jan of 06 you signed this waiver":D yeah i still think if you go with your strategy you'll be good to go because the pc will still be upgradable for a year or two, good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online