Help Me Come Up With The Perfect Setup

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Robert.K

Alright everyone,

Ive got some pretty basic knowledge of building computers. But, soon I will be getting into Digital Media and Design and what not. So, I need your help in helping me decide the best hardware to use. The computer will be used mainly for Video/Photo Editing. I might try to tackle some music editing down the road, but that doesnt come until later. However I do need alot of room on the computer, considering I will be storing a vast amount of video and photos, aswell as MP3's. I was thinking of having a TeraBite of space. A couple of gigs of ram. A Radeon card (If thats what would be best in this application) Preferably something from the X series. Definetley a 64bit processor. They dont happen to make HT 64bit CPU's do they? I've got a good amount of money to spend on this computer. $2000-3000. But, I dont really want to get a PowerMac considering Ive been told that a PC would be better. Thanks in advance for any help you guys may have.

Rob

Robert.K said:
The computer will be used mainly for Video/Photo Editing.
I recently built a Rig for that purpose so here are a few things to consider.

I think the best processor for video editing is a Dual Core (I'm using P-4--the Athlon Dual Core are considerably more expensive) because you can do other stuff while videos are being rendered and you don't notice any slowdown. However, I had to put in a watercooling system because it ran very hot. I didn't technically "have to" but I found when the processor was put on full load that it would get to max temperatures then throttle itself back. So consider a case that already has watercooling built in--it will save you a lot of hassle in the future of installing one like I had to do.

Robert.K said:
However I do need alot of room on the computer, considering I will be storing a vast amount of video and photos, aswell as MP3's. I was thinking of having a TeraBite of space. A couple of gigs of ram.
When you say a "vast" amount of photos as well as MP3s, those are small relatively speaking and you don't need anywhere near a Terabyte for that--its the video that creates large storage needs. How much video are you planning on storing? I fit 15 years of videos on one 200 Gig hard drive. Unless you are storing lots of commercial DVDs, then I can't see you need a TeraBite. You can always daisy chain external drives and add space as needed. Also, if these videos are for archiving, you are better off putting them on external drives and storing them rather than keeping them all on active discs that are part of your system. Lots of hard drive space inside the computer creates extra heat and the need for more watts on your power supply and that's more heat--its a viscious cycle.

2 Gigs of RAM is good--that's what I have--you only need that much for video editing or computer games--most people 2 Gigs is a waste.

Robert.K said:
A Radeon card (If thats what would be best in this application) Preferably something from the X series.
You actually don't need an expensive graphics card for video editing--its not near as important as it is to games. Although you should have a good mid-range card with at least 128K RAM--this is a place to save some money--better to spend dollars in your budget on other stuff instead of a $400 or $500 video card--the bottleneck is going to be at the processor and hard drive. I have an NVidia GForce 6600GT with 128 Megs of memory and I have no problems with editing video. I also use a 74 Gig WD Raptor running at 10,000 RPM as my main system drive--no need for a large drive as your primary drive--it should only contain your programs and OS--put all the other stuff on a 2nd and possibly 3rd drive.

Funny.. I just did a system for a friend.. pretty nice one. Here is what I built him.

AMD FX-55
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
4 Gigs Kingston
Three 300Gb SATA drives (900Gb total)
Watercooled
Two FX7800GT's 256Mb each
Case, P/S
CDRW/DVDRW combo

Came in at just under $3000.

Do you need all that? Probably not.. but thats one heck of a rig :)

Not bad, considering places like Falcon NW, and Alienware do similar systems for about $5000 :)

-Gonz

www.zipzoomfly.com

If you do build something high powered like that, be sure not to skimp on the power supply. Get a name brand (I prefer Antec) and at least 500W..

I run this:
Antec TruePower 2.0 EPS12V 550W

$95 but well worth the investment.

Asus, Corsair, Kingston, Maxtor, BFG, Antec, Thermaltake.. all name brands I can say I've been impressed with. You can save some bucks here and there going with the cheap, off brand stuff, but I wouldnt recommend doing that.

-Gonzo

Robert.K

I like Crucial alot. I do happen to do a little CS: Source on my spare time ;) I dont know what it is but I do prefer Crucial over Kingston or Corsair.

What Mobo would you recommend for this setup Ive been thinking of.

AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+

Crucial 2GB PC3200 ECC Registered DDR2 Memory

2x Hitachi 500GB ATA133 HardDrives

Connect 3D Radeon X1800 XT 512MB GDDR3 w/ PCI Express

Creative Labs SoundBlaster X-FI PCI SoundCard

Still like the Asus brand.. never hooked an ATI Card up to one tho.. I pretty much stick to NVidia..

Anyone else have some experience with ATI and Asus boards?

-Gonz

Gonzo1970 said:
www.zipzoomfly.com

If you do build something high powered like that, be sure not to skimp on the power supply. Get a name brand (I prefer Antec) and at least 500W..

I run this:
Antec TruePower 2.0 EPS12V 550W

$95 but well worth the investment.

Asus, Corsair, Kingston, Maxtor, BFG, Antec, Thermaltake.. all name brands I can say I've been impressed with. You can save some bucks here and there going with the cheap, off brand stuff, but I wouldnt recommend doing that.

-Gonzo
I agree with all those recommendations. I have an ASUS Mobo, Kingston Memory, Thermaltake case and power supply (and that's a good recommendation on the good power supply) and a Maxtor drive as a secondary drive (although Maxtor would not have been my first choice--it was just one hell of a deal for a 300 Gig hard drive). Make sure you got SATA and PCI-E on the MOBO.

Crucial memory is good, but it tends to be expensive. I and many here like:

www.newegg.com

Also good online store is:

www.tigerdirect.com

Gonzo1970 said:
Funny.. I just did a system for a friend.. pretty nice one. Here is what I built him.

AMD FX-55
Asus A8N SLI Deluxe
4 Gigs Kingston
Three 300Gb SATA drives (900Gb total)
Watercooled
Two FX7800GT's 256Mb each
Case, P/S
CDRW/DVDRW combo

Came in at just under $3000.

Do you need all that? Probably not.. but thats one heck of a rig :)

Not bad, considering places like Falcon NW, and Alienware do similar systems for about $5000 :)

-Gonz
Wow--that guy must be a serious gamer! ;)

I am curious--does he use the two video cards to spread the game across two monitors? That's a very nice video card--two of them must have been close to a grand right there--damn! ;)

Rukee

Banned
Robert.K said:
AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+

Crucial 2GB PC3200 ECC Registered DDR2 Memory
You don`t need/want Reg ECC memory with that CPU. ECC memory is for socket 940 server machines, a X2 4800 is a socket 939 platform and that takes normal DDR 400 PC3200. These are awesome sticks with very tight timings.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210
You can use the two video cards for multiple monitors if you want, I use mine just for added gaming performance.

Rukee said:
You can use the two video cards for multiple monitors if you want, I use mine just for added gaming performance.
Not to derail this thread, but I'll do it anyway! :D

How does that work? How do you get two cards to output to just one monitor? Is there some sort of adapter to hook both cards up to?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online