1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help me diagnose if these is a motherboard issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cc2001, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cc2001

cc2001 Thread Starter

Hello
    everyone,
    i have an hp ze2000 notebook, was working fine, just shut off and now when you hit the power switch, the fan will spin for about 3 seconds, no beeps, no boot nothing else, power light stays solidly lit, what could the prob be?

thanks
    chris

2. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

pull the battery out and hook up to the power cord and see if it starts.

3. cc2001

cc2001 Thread Starter

Same thing with battery pulled, fan runs three seconds, no other life after that

4. kanaitpro

kanaitpro Account Closed

i've done a little searching on the internet and found several potential causes for the trouble. first, and easiest, would be to take it apart and clean it thoroughly. DO NOT SPRAY AIR INSIDE! take it apart and spray the air from the inside out. and while you've got it apart, check thoroughly for any damaged capacitors (they will have a rounded top instead of flat, or have fluid leaking from them). Also, check thoroughly around where the power cord plugs in. you will be looking for any sort of burnt spots of circuits on the board, and smelling for anything that smells like it's been burnt. and also, while it's apart, remove the cmos battery for about a minute and replace it. you should be able to find a guide on how to do this somewhere.

5. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Laptops are a pain to troubleshot compared to a desktop PC. Reseat your RAM and unplug any and all external devices except the power pack. Remove the battery and you might even want to remove the hard drive for testing. If you can get it to post then think about reinserting the hard drive. Also as mentioned it may be worth your wile to try and clean out any dust that could have accumulated inside the air vents. If your not keen on taking it apart you can obtain cans of compressed air specifically for this chore. just about any computer shop or PC retailer should have them. You just put the plastic straw on and carefully blow out the dust. Just be careful around any cooling fans, short bursts so you don't spin the fan up too fast. If you can see the fan and block it from spinning with a toothpick or similar item while you spray out the dust is even better.

6. MicroAlex

MicroAlex

If the the display cable is connected properly inside (seen a few HP's that had that problem when you open and close the lid frequently) then the options are in my opinion: corrupt BIOS or bad chip soldering on the motherboard.

There are ways to flash a new BIOS in DOS mode from a flash drive, you can try searching google. But I think that due to the fact that HP laptops are known to run hot and have poor soldering I think the soldering came off. My problem was similar, power on - no video, fans do spin.
    To fix the soldering problem with in home methods I have used an oven, YES an oven. I have preheated the oven to 200C and put the motherboard inside for 10 minutes. Baked nicely, worked for me.
    PLEASE NOTE that the oven method is dangerous and I have done it at my own risk, and its better to do it in a electrical oven not gas. Also remember to remove all of the sticky plastic tape, cables, BIOS battery...

Hope it helps.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090623

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice