1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help me diagnose my ram problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akito, Feb 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Okay, this is going to be crazy.

I have a toshiba 8100 laptop.

It has 2 sticks of ram. We will call them RAMA and RAMB.

The machine will boot with RAMA and RAMB inserted. Pressure has to be put down on RAMA in order for the machine to boot, otherwise I get a black screen. However, windows gives me all kinds of fatal errors.

When RAMB is removed, and I boot the laptop (abit with pressure on RAMA) the machine boots into windows, no errors.

When the ram sticks are switched, even with pressure the machine will not boot.

When ramb is in rama's slot, and I put down pressure on ramb, the machine will not boot.

Putting pressure on ramb's slot does nothing.

Both sticks of ram work fine in a dell i8100.

I have no freakin clue what's wrong. If it can be replaced, I'll just replace the board that holds the ram. If not.. any ideas? Or can it even be replaced?

edit: nm, the board that holds the ram IS the motherboard.

2. winbob

winbob

Well it sounds like SOMETHING is cracked, and the pressure brings the pieces back into contact....either the Mem Slots, or the board itself.

At first I thought perhaps the Mem Chip, but since they work in another PC I guess not.

Price out the board before you send it in. You may be $hocked!!

3. Akito

Akito Thread Starter

Yeah, I pretty much figured something like that happened. I took the laptop apart, and the board is all once piece. I bought a mobo off of ebay for like 80 bucks with a 15 day warranty, so whatever. The laptop was free, so I don't mind spending the money.

4. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

It sounds like the clip that holds the RAM is a bit messed up. I know you can buy the seperate slots without replacing the motherboard, but that would be much more of a repair job

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/330669

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice