1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help me geeeeZ

Discussion in 'Networking' started by xxkhbxx, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xxkhbxx

xxkhbxx Thread Starter

hey guys ive been trying to do this for weeks but i cant do it... i have a netgear wgr614 netgear router connected to my pc, with a wireless card hooked up to my laptop... i cant figure out for the life of me how i can connect to my ftp on my lap top from my pc on my desk... even my webserver wont work... how do i do it. i never had a problem before i got the router... help

2. coulterp

coulterp

In the configuration Menu under Advanced / Port-forwarding.
    In the Service Name drop-down you will see FTP. You'll need to enable that to the LAN IP address of the PC you require to use FTP with. This should set up ports 20 and 21 for you.
    Netgear ships with FTP and telnet off by default. For example, as described in http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n100442.asp.

3. jtatsud

jtatsud

coulterp -

From previous posts, I know you are the Netgear "expert", but I'd like to confirm your previous post. Does xxkhbxx need to open up these ports on the router if he is implementing FTP on two systems that are both on the router's local network? I thought that he would only need to open these ports if he was trying to FTP to the Internet?

Maybe it's an IP address or firewall problem?

4. coulterp

coulterp

You have a point there. On first reading it I took it to be that the "pc on my desk" was a work PC and xxkhbxx was FTP'ing to/from outside the LAN. On re-reading that may be an invalid assumption (for "invalid assumption" read "careless reading" on my part!), and if FTP'ing purely on the LAN then the port-forwarding wouldn't be necessary.

Could be a firewall problem. But OTOH xxkhbxx said "i never had a problem before i got the router" implying whatever, if any, firewall etc software was in place beforehand did not impede FTP. The implication is then that the router introduced the problem. So could, of course, then still be an IP address.

xxkhbxx: can you give more info about your IP addresses on the PCs? For example, do your think they are picking up IP addresses, default gateway, DNS addresses, from the router OK?

5. xxkhbxx

xxkhbxx Thread Starter

thanks very much guys i got it working jeeez thanks alot :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217203

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice