1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Me! hard disk problem with windows Xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ssenthil78, May 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ssenthil78

ssenthil78 Thread Starter

Dear Sir,

My pc starts and it shows the blank (black) screen with cursor. After some time, it is showing "operating system not found".

If i am trying to "fdisk" the hard disk it is saying "no fixed disk present".

while using the windows xp boot disketts, it boots but the last step which should show all the hard disk partitions in that area it hangs.

it is a seagate 40GB ATA hard disk drive.

it is connected in the Primary master drive.

Bios is detecting the hard drive with 40 GB capacity.

Please suggest me what should i do?

i am totally fedup because of this problem.

Thanking you,

s. senthil kumar

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Fdisk can't see an XP drive because NTFS partitions are invisible to DOS. Are you trying to reinstall, repair, or what?

You probably should try going into the Recovery Console and seeing what you can find out there. Boot from the CD and press "R" for repair the first time it asks. Then, run chkdsk /p on each of your drives. That will tell us if they are recoverable.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Actually fdisk can SEE ntfs partition and display info for them, it is somewhat limited in its ability to delete ntfs logical drives or extended partitions. Therefore it is not recommended to use dos / win9x tools for nt based os.

I agree that you need to access the RC and run the command posted above. After you run the chkdsk command and you are still unable to boot, type this without quotes.

"fixmbr"
    "fixboot"

See if you can access the drive now. I am assuming that you have checked and reseated drive connections.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're right, of course. Fdisk can detect the partitions, and depending on which fdisk, identify it as non-DOS or NTFS. But there is no DOS access to the partition.

If the RC loads and can find the partition, I'd try "fixboot" first and then try to boot before trying "fixmbr".

Good luck.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Do you know how to access the Recovery Console? If so then go ahead and try the commands posted. If you do not know how to access the RC, you boot with your xp cd [cd set as first boot device in the bios] From the first menu, choose to repair. You may need the admin password for your install. If you did not install xp on this computer and it does ask for a password, try leaving the field blank.

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

If for some reason you can't get to the RC (best choice), download this floppy set. With it, you can mount your NTFS partitions from DOS and be sure the contents of the drives are intact and you can use the second floppy to run chkdsk on the drives.

http://users.adelphia.net/~abraxas/dl/BOOTXPNTFSchk.zip

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/229636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice