1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help me i changed drive letters and now system won't boot

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jasyn, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jasyn

jasyn Thread Starter

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Link doesn't work. Please repost.

3. jasyn

jasyn Thread Starter

http://leghumped.com/blog/2007/01/09/change-drive-letter-on-a-boot-device/

works for me x_X

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

But, yes, you are pretty much screwed since absolutely everything on that drive from programs to registry settings points to G; as the drive they are operating from. That's 100's, possibly 1000's, of settings. Try a repair installation. That may or may not work for repairing the majority of errors. It may get you booted up, but there is little chance that your programs will run correctly unless the drive letter is restored.

The other option is to remotely edit the registry to restore it to the way it was. You can do that with RegeditPE within the UBCD4Win.

5. jasyn

jasyn Thread Starter

when i click on the link it goes to that page so i don't know. but thanks for the tip .. i'll try to do the regeditpe first .. and if that doesn't work we'll see how a repair install goes.

darn me for messing with these things (n) i should of just left it as it was kuz it worked

thanks u sir!

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You're not the first. Setup will use C: unless it is already used, in which case it chooses the next letter (including optical drives sometimes), but most of us would like C: for our main drive. And some programs even assume that C: is the main drive. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts for changing that. There are directions floating around, but the process is more complicated than reinstalling would be.

The Regedit PE is amazing. It imports the registry from the machine as a subkey, lets you edit it, and then unloads it back to the drive.

It takes some work to make the UBCD, but you will probably find it useful for repairs for a lot of other things, too, and especially for file recovery from broken systems since it will allow you to send files over the network, transfer them to CD or DVD, or move them to another drive. And there are no permissions issues with it, either. You have access to everything that is not encrypted.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice