Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help me kill OneDrive ..............

Solved 
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  crjdriver 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm sick of all these drives!

I've got OneDrive, iCloud Drive, HisDrive, HerDrive, DogsDrive, CatsDrive, NeighboursDrive .......all promising unlimited storage with "Seamless Syncing" and I've finally cracked, I want to go back to my old big black and trusty external hard drive and it's chunky USB cable, at least I knew where "stuff" was!

My first PC was the veritable old Apple IIC booted off a 6 1/4 floppy disc so I kind of know my way around how it all works ........... but obviously I don't when it comes to these cloud drives!

I've been using OneDrive for my Win10 PC for yonks and iCloud Drive for my IOS gear. So far so good but..

OneDrive has now taken over my whole PC and I didn't do anything, I promise!

I have all my 4765 photos on my C Drive stored under My Docs x Pictures and subfolders therein into years as in 1985, 1986 ..... 2018 etc.... works for me keeping them sorted!

But now OneDrive has not only duplicated every single photo and document I own but in some cases has triplicated and quadruplicated many of them so I have up to FOUR pic copies in some of the folders!

And I didn't change any settings, nothing ............ that I know of anyway!

But it gets worse ................. the monster is now creating subfolders in my Pictures Folder and for example in say year 2018, it is popping in the MONTH (eg -2) when pics were taken from my Apple Devices, so I now see:

2018-2 2018-4 2 018-7 ....................... 2019-1 2019-4 and on and on but NOTHING before 2018 and I've had these devices for 10-15 years! Ditto all my Docs, mainly MS Word, all duplicated!

OK, so I went into OneDrive's SETTINGS, deselected all the FOLDERS I had chosen being photos, docs etc etc, changed the backup options, did a PC restart and found .................. every single doc and photo and file had been erased from what I call my "Normal Documents", on the straight C Drive that is!

Everything is still on OneDrive but under C Drive? Nothing. naught, zilch, all gone!

It won't be too big a drama to simply copy them all back onto C Drive where they used to live but what would cause such a savage response like this simply by telling OneDrive that I did not want it to back up my files any longer, unbelievable.

Wonder if I should do a System Restore instead of mucking about copying everything again?

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks all!

See less See more
#3 ·
As everything in C Drive X My Docs was gone, I copied all the One Drive folders back to My Docs so nothing was lost ........

I then deleted everything on One Drive but first went into the Settings and unchecked all the folders to be backed up, unlinked OneDrive from my PC, put a stake through the heart of OneDrive, plugged in my old external HDD, backed up everything and all good!

#4 ·
Depending on what ver of windows ie pro, enterprise, or home, there is a different method of disabling onedrive. FWIW that [and cortana] is the very first thing I do when doing a windows install. If you have pro or enterprise, this is done through group policy edit. If you have home, then you need to edit the registry OR I am sure there are many scripts available for download to accomplish this task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.