1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help me. Pc problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by OCHO, Oct 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OCHO

OCHO Thread Starter

Well today early im the morning i deleted the photoshop cs3 trial install program the one where it prompts you to run it or cancel.Well i tried delting it since i have no use for it.I couldnt.I tried dragginf it to the trash bin,but it prompt me with a popup saying that file is in use.So i was like let me right click and go to properties and switch/change the default program it usually opens with.I chose so random thing.I chse Microsoft Office Document Imaging.I dragged that file into the trash bin and it was deleted and i turned my pc off.I come a few hours later turn it back on an i clcik on the firefox shourcut on my desktop and it says the following the selected file is not a valid microsoft office document imaging file. So far its been saying that for my photoshop shourcut,illustrator,and several other applications.So im asking if anyone knows how to resolve this problem im having.Btw when i goto my control panel most of the links say the same thing the selected file is not a valid microsoft office document imaging file. I cant even restore my system.

Please move this to the right section.If its not

2. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

For future reference, you don't remove programs by deleting or dragging them to the Trash Basket! Go to Control Panel and click on Add/Remove Programs. Search for the program in the list that appears, and UNINSTALL it. That would have saved you all this grief. It sounds like something went wonky when you tried to pick something at random for *opening* a program you really wanted to get rid of. Not a good solution, as you found out! Meanwhile, I hope someone else has an easy solution for getting rid of your current program. Good luck!

3. OCHO

OCHO Thread Starter

Thanks for letting me know.My knowledge of programs ad other applcations arent that good

4. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

This is how we all learn, Ocho. Welcome to Tech Support Guys!

5. letchworth

letchworth

Are you saying that you are unable to run ANY programs on your computer-- or just some programs??

What version of Windows are you running?
    Did it come with a Restore disk or a full version of Windows?

The details might help us to help you better
    letchworth

6. OCHO

OCHO Thread Starter

I can go use the internet only by going to the control panel and going to favorites.There i am able to acces the web,but if i click any icon shorcuts on my desktop that message comes up.Its like it doesnt open properly.I cant run ie,firefox,photoshop,msn,aim,i-tunes,and severl other applications.Most of my control panel links have the same popup message.I cant even system restore.Im running windows xp.As far as i know the guy that sold me the computer didnt include either the restore disk or full version of windows,but i am able to ask him for it and he might provide me with it.Also i posted this in in a forum ans my friends say my hardrive was either rewriting or its a virus.

7. letchworth

letchworth

I'm running XP under classic-- so unfamiliar with the "favorites" thing you mention--- However, if you can run the programs from there--- it means the programs are fine.

Before I forget-- call the guy you bought the machine from and ask him for restore CD or Operating System CD-- you will need it someday.

XP- goto <My Computer> and on the C drive look for <Program Files> and look for an obvious one like <Mozilla Firefox><Firefox.exe> All your icons are just shortcuts pointing to the .exe files of the programs--- Click on <Firefox.exe> and it should start the program.

If so, replace the shortcuts on the desktop (& even on the Start Menu, if needed)-- if not-- we need to keep looking

However, a virus probably wouldn't target your shortcuts-- and since the programs still work-- it must be something simple.

They key is to find out if you can start the programs in <Program Files> as those are the programs themselves. (NOTE: not all programs are stored under Program Files-- but most/many will-- .EXE files are usually identified by the same icon that is used on your menues-- You do need to be careful which ones you clip on, but I think you'll find enough to get you started--- If there are some you don't find-- ask.)

Good luck
    letchworth

8. OCHO

OCHO Thread Starter

i still have

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

You aren't entirely clear (at least not to me) you say you dragged the file to the recycle bin? Did you empty the recycle bin? If not, open it up and click on the file and then choose the option to Restore this Item. That might help. After that, use the control panel, Add/Remove programs, per EBSchrader's instructions....maybe it will help. Good luck.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice