1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help me PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by club23, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. club23

club23 Thread Starter

Guys, I am completely disheartened at this current moment. I have spent hours trying to figure this out and just can't. I have had some similar problems to some others when dual booting xp with vista. First off, on a clean system, I installed xp. Then I used Partition magic to partition my drive to allow vista to be installed. I then installed vista, and everything was great.

A day later, i was attempting to install alcohol 120% and I get a blue screen. No big deal, driver mismatch whatever, so I reboot and vista won't start because of "missing hal.dll. reinstall". So I get online on another computer and work forever to figure it out. I found a page with a bunch of solutions which I attempted. Most of them I couldn't get to work because I couldn't figure out which drive letter to use. the bios was calling one C and on D even though they were F and G. Anyway, i tried this one thing where I did a chkdsk and then fixboot. I reboot and now can't even get into xp. So after 5 hours of this, I'm like "OK fine!!! reformat!!" so I format the disk and only install vista. Which works fine. Then I install xp on another drive. Thought it would solve it but no. Now when I boot up, the bios gives me the two options for booting OS "boot to xp pro boot to xp pro"

One is old xp and when I select it it still says missing "hal.dll". So the vista option is gone. So I try to boot vista by selecting the hard disk, but it says "bootmgr missing". So I can't boot to vista anymore!!! What the hell do I do!! I really don't want to have to reinstall both windows again.

HELP!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!