1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help me replace my GPU fan

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Claire_Kitty, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claire_Kitty

Claire_Kitty Thread Starter

So my GPU has been buzzing a lot lately. My graphics card is a MSI Radeon 7700 series. The cause is the fan and I know because it's happened to me before with an older card. I need to replace this fan, but I don't know what to purchase, what would be compatible and what would fit. The original fan is the same model as this one I found on ebay, except mine doesn't have the yellow cable. Mine has the same model number and the sticker was exactly identical to that one, the only difference being it has one red and one black cable, minus the yellow one.
    So, what size of fan do I need, and how can I make sure the holes for the screws are going to be the right distance apart? What kind of fan will not begin buzzing after long term use? This one says it's a "sleeve bearing", and I'd like to try and stay away from that if I can. Thank you.

Also, I could not for the life of me remove the fan's power cable from the card. When the time comes, any tips for that?

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I would remove the fan then see if you can match the size with this or similar from Ebay :- http://www.ebay.com/itm/65mm-DC-12V...491634?hash=item3aafbcd672:g:-rYAAOxyzfNRyFhK

You will have to match the electrical connector as well so check how many pins are in the board socket.
    You may have to use some force to disconnect the present fan's power cable from the GPU board.
    It is a plug/socket connection isn't it ?

3. Claire_Kitty

Claire_Kitty Thread Starter

Yes, but I couldn't manage to unplug it, so I couldn't really tell how many pins it was. I was afraid I might remove the whole module from the card before the actual cable came loose. The one I linked is 4 pin, and as mentioned is ever so slightly different from mine despite being the same model number. I could assume it is also 4 pin.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1162680

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice