Help me solve this problem...packet loss

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Epic

During online gaming and streadming video/audio, I've been suddenly getting very poor connection quality. It makes online games virtually unplayable, which is quite frustrating. The internet in general is a lot slower as well. I do not use a router or anything else. I have a cable connection from Cox High Speed Internet.

I used a HyperTrace program to tracert to various websites, all with the same results. Intermittent high latency and about 10% packet loss. My first downstream hop is IP 10.5.0.1, so I used a ping plotter to see if the problem was there. Sure enough, I get about 10% packet loss to this machine (which has no DNS name), and latency spikes into the hundreds and thousands.

Is this an ISP problem, or something else? What can I do about this, since when I call tech support, they have no idea what "tracert" is or anything else. They suggest defragmenting my hard drive. Anyway, does anyone want to take a stab at my issue, or at least ping 10.5.0.1 to check for packet loss?

Thanks in advance!

Most likely.

Plug your PC directly into cable modem first (will possibly need to cycle power of cable modem when you do this.)

Do traceroute / ping plots then.

Send traceroute to ISP, it's probably poor connection to CMTS.

Do you have digital cable as well? Digital channels ever drop / set top reboot / anything like that?

Epic

Thanks for the reply. Can you clarify those instructions a bit? I'm not sure exactly what you mean by connecting directly to the cable modem. Currently, a CAT5 cable connects my NIC to the cable modem, and the modem connects to the wall with coax. I'll be glad to give your suggestion a try if you can clear my confusion.

Here is a copy of my tracert to yahoo.com:
1,10.5.0.1,130ms,None,----
2,24.136.46.105,234ms,None,----
3,68.1.15.9,72ms,lkhndsrc01-pos0704.rd.at.cox.net,----
4,68.1.0.38,148ms,lkhnbbrc02-pos0203.rd.at.cox.net,----
5,68.1.0.174,42ms,ashbbbrj01-so402.r2.as.cox.net,----
6,68.105.30.98,189ms,None,----
7,216.115.96.189,148ms,ge-3-1-0.p440-msr1.re1.yahoo.com,----
8,206.190.33.95,259ms,t-3-1.bas2.re2.yahoo.com,----
9,68.142.226.34,41ms,p3.www.re2.yahoo.com,----

Would 10.5.0.1 be my CMTS? It's almost always my first hop, regardless of the destination address. Also, no digital cable problems that I've noticed, besides *occasional* scrambled/dropped signal. Maybe once for an hour every two weeks or so.

Sorry, missed the "I Do not use a router".

Yeah, first hop is the side of the network that faces the HFC plant. (The CMTS)

Call your ISP. It's probably poor signal quality. Network rides HFC plant w/ bunch of other analog gear. Signal / Noise ratio is probably pretty close. Somebody out there w/ a power meter or QAM analyzer can spot it pretty quick. Can be caused by port termination of cable, poor splitters (Not 1-1000MHz rated), too many taps, etc.

Epic

Thanks a lot for the help. I'll give the phone support a try.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I agree that this is an ISP issue, you won't be able to fix it.

One thing to do is to check the wiring from the cable modem to the ISP's service entrance. I run a home-run of RG-6U low loss cable directly from the 2:1 splitter provided by the cable company to my modem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online