1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Me To Fix This!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lance1, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lance1

Lance1 Thread Starter

Hi All!

Here’s what’s up. I have this computer I’m working on; (Compaq Presario SR2180NX) He started to have blue screens, he didn’t mark down the error so I don’t know what it was. He says he continually unplugged the computer and plugged it in again. He then says that he thought the computer was dirty and proceeded to, get this, Vacum it out! I told him that that could have irreversibly damaged the hardware of the system. He then calls me back two days later saying that the computer no longer boots! No surprise… I have the computer here and have been able to get it to boot only to have it freeze on the HP startup screen so I couldn’t do anything. I’m at a loss for this. I think that he fried the main board or caused hardware damage somewhere.

Input please! Thanks…

2. Zeppfan

Zeppfan

Check to see if any of the MB jumpers or HD jumpers are still there. You may need to do some research on the motherboard to see where or if there are any jumpers.

The vacuuming may have sucked up one or more of these necessary jumpers.

Check this link to see if this is you MB. I think it is. If so, you may find jumper placement.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864946&cc=ca&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3339276

As far as the blue screen prior to the vacuum, the MB may have been on the verge of going bad, and no boot after vacuum may have just been a coincidence.

3. Arcadion

Arcadion

There is a good chance he would have damaged it with static discharge, as the end of a vacuum cleaner pipe builds up a charge.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/704191

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice