1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help me upgrade please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AstroNut, Dec 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

I think the motherboard died in my desktop, it's a 4 or 5 year old ATX? Velocity Micro E2020 desktop and came with a Nvidia Nforce 570 SLI MB and Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 chip, it won't boot at all, and won't put any power to the USB ports to work the light on my mouse, before it died it was also shutting down while idle and then it comes back on right where it left off, I've checked connections, I've re-installed an old working video card with no help, I replaced the power supply and that didn't help so I was thinking it must be the MB, I might try doing a upgrade, can I get a MB to upgrade this to a modern Intel i7 chip? I was looking at some MB's online and the rear ports are quite a bit different layout than my ATX case. Is there a modern replacement for my MB?

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The back panel for those ports comes with the new motherboard, you just pop out the existing one and install the new one.

You'll need a new motherboard, processor, and memory to make the upgrade from your processor to a modern i5 or i7 system. You can re-use the case I think if it's a standard ATC case, the video card, the hard drive, and the optical drive.

Also, post the exact make and model of the power supply, you may have to upgrade that too.

And post your budget and goals for the upgrade; games, design, media, etc.

3. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

I googled ATC case and I think it may be one? The back panel is riveted ON, just the port area seems to be removable, the power supply is only marked with the builders tag.
    This computer is going to the internet, some video editing and working with large image files doing editing on astrophotography pictures and the program I use for image stacking could use more than the current 4gb RAM that I have. Attached are a few pictures of the machine, I like the case and would prefer to keep it.

Attached Files:

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Sorry, I meant that I/O Panel for the ports as being removal, thats what allows any motherboard to work with any case as long as the case size is correct; ie. micro-ATX, mini-ATX, ATX, etc.

Your power supply is garbage, you'll want a new one from a quality manufacturer.

What's your budget?

The motherboard would need to be a micro-ATX board to fit that case.

You also seem to have two PCI-Express x16 cards and two PCI cards, is that correct? What are they are they all needed? You may be hard pressed to find a micro-ATX board that has that number of ports. You may have to get a new full sized case and motherboard to get those slots.

5. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

Thanks, but I thought I had a standard ATX MB, it's dimensions are about 11.80 long and 9.25 wide and I currently only have 1 video card, it will take two, and a TV Tuner card, network card and a unused firewire card. Trying to spend less than $500 on a MB and processor and now a compatible power supply.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    The measurements do put the close to ATX so you are probably right, picture looks deceiving.

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4/3.8 Ghz Quad Core CPU @ $219.00: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116504

GIGABYTE GA-Z77-DS3H with USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s @ $109.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128547

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 RAM @ $41.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231546

Corsair TX650 V2 PSU @ $89.99: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020

7. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

Thanks Rob, those look like some good choices, I was doing some research and I think the i5 will be fine for my needs. Do you think the stock cooler that comes with this is good enough?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    An i5 is adequate for most people and fits your budget.

9. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

Been doing some more reading, I think I want to add a SSD to re-install my Win 7 HP 64bit OS on, looks like the MB listed above will support the speed as it has 2 6 GB/s SATA ports, how small a drive can I use just for the OS? I have 2 other 500GB drives I can use for storage.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    64GB is about the smallest you should go, if you go smaller you'll be running out of room a lot and I believe if you don't install your programs on the SSD then you are missing out on the benefit of it's speed. If any of your software requires a scratch drive it would be good to have that on the SSD too. The 500GB's would be good for data and if need be for lesser used programs.

11. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

Well Rob, I received all the parts you suggested yesterday, and I was at BestBuy today and found a Intel 520 180GB SSD on sale for $129 and bought that, then went home and proceeded to rip out old parts and add all my new parts to the old case, I got down to trying to hook up my old DVD burner and realized the new motherboard does not have IDE connections!!!
    So now I guess I'll have to go buy new SATA drives or buy some kind of adapter, but anyway I went ahead and did a test boot with the old WD black 1TB hard drive with Windows 7 on it, I wasn't expecting it to boot but low and behold it did!!! I was able to hook a USB external DVD drive to it and load the Gigabyte MB drivers and it's up and running good, very speedy now but I still want to add the SSD to it. I'm using it to type this, anyway thanks for the advice.

Attached Files:

12. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If the SATA controller is the same or similar and the SATA mode is the same then WIndows can boot on a replacement board, it's not as clean as a fresh install but does work in some cases.

I wouldn't bother with a SATA to IDE adapter, more hassle and they don't always work. You can get a new SATA DVD burner for under $20. Or if you don't use the optical drive that often then just use the USB one when needed and not worry about it.

13. AstroNut

AstroNut Thread Starter

It's finished now, I went ahead and installed the new 180GB Intel 520 SSD and did a fresh install of Win7 64bit, I've never had a windows install go so well, it just worked!!!! Did all the updates and now it's booting to login screen in 15 sec. SSD's rock!!!

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    SSD's are indeed fast, glad you got it up and running (y)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082141

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice