1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Me! Win98 "Error" Message! Please Extra Help Here! URGENT!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Solid_Froggy, Apr 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Solid_Froggy

Solid_Froggy Thread Starter

Hello, I have a Windows 95 machine (not connected to internet) and I was starting to install Windows 98 Second Edition. While it was installing I had accidently pressed the button to turn the computer off! So after that I turn on my computer and it goes to the Windows 95 Boot thing where I select to run in Safe Mode, Normal Mode, etc. I select Normal Mode and I get this message the first time:

Windows protection error. Please restart your computer.

So then I reboot my computer and it gives me the screen again to pick Safe Mode, Normal Mode, etc. and I select Normal Mode again, I get this message:

Invalid VxD dynamic link call from VPICD(01) + 00000DED to device "VMM ", service 19E. Your Windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup program again to correct this problem.

To continue running Windows press Y or ENTER. To quit the current program press N. If you continue running Windows, your system may become unstable. Do you want to continue?

Press Y for Yes or N for No: Y
    I press N and I get this message:

Invalid VxD dynamic link call to device number 1, service 19E. Your windows configuration is invalid. Run the Windows Setup Program again to correct this problem.

I don't know what the heck is wrong with my computer! I can't even make it to the desktop! Please, any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

go ahead a choose Sfe Mode one time then once Safe Mode is loaded restart via the Start button. you should also be advised to uninstall any current anti-virus in Add/Remove Programs then rstart your computer well bfore you start the Windows upgrade.

3. ryanjoachim

ryanjoachim

Just put your boot-disk into your computer, and your WIN98 SE cd and restart. Go through the setup again, this time without interupting it. It should work perfectly after that.

4. Solid_Froggy

A) I can't get to the desktop B) I don't have my Windows 95 boot disk C) Forget about me wanting Windows 98 SE! Now I just want my computer to work!

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Do you have a Win95 or Win98 Install CD at hand? Can you boot to Safe Mode?

(tap F8 five times per second during a restart; Choose option number three (3) in the Windows Startup dialog box using the arrow keys below the Delete key, and strike the Enter key; Click Ok when prompted).

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Styxx:

I'm wondering if his computer got trashed because he turned off the power in the middle of the Windows 98SE upgrade.

Solid Froggy:

A Windows 95 startup disk does not contain CDROM drivers in it so you can use CDROM support. Do you know someone who can copy a Windows 98SE startup disk(which contains generic CDROM drivers) for you?

7. Solid_Froggy

I have the disk..somewhere in my room. My friend let me borrow his because he doesn't have the wires to hook up his old one. So, at the moment, I have it. But if I even have the disk and put it in, it won't do anything. Please give me directions what to do once I do get the disk and start my computer up.

Thanks very much flavallee! I hope you can solve my problem. I will also show my friend's dad that is a Microsoft worker. Thanks again.

8. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Please see the following printable attachment for more information on Starting From Scratch.

I still need to know if you can boot to Safe Mode.

On any virus free Win98 computer, even if you want to reinstall Win95 or a higher version, you need to create a Win98 FE or SE Startup Disk. A Win95 Startup Disk won't do under most circumstances although it can be helpful to have one at hand. A OEM Startup Disk(s) (boot disk) can be had at http://www.bootdisk.com The attachment has more details but in a nutshell - with the boot disk in the [A] drive and the Windows Install in the [D] drive restart your computer; Boot with CD-ROM support when prompted for a choice; At the [A] prompt type, E:, and press Enter; At the [E] prompt type, setup, and press Enter and follow the on-screen instructions using the Tab and Enter keys where necessary.

Attached Files:

9. Solid_Froggy

Ok thanks, i'll try this and let you know if it worked.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219471

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice