Help me with Hard drive PLS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

L0g1c

I am thinking about buying an external hard drive for my computer. So i wanted to know what are the specifics for the hard drive that i will be getting. Such as something very simple such a USB 2.0 is the best connection. I don't know the specifics like ATA or SATA and if its dependent on what type of computer i have. If there is already a thread explaining hard drives please be so kind to point me in that direction.

Thanks guys for your time.

There really is little to consider. The type of drive does not matter because it is connected by USB, so even if your board does not support the faster SATA drives, the controller in the enclosure does if that is the type you get.

Power is the other consideration. Some are powered externally and need to be plugged in. Not too good for laptops on the road, for example, but probably best for permanent, desktop drives. Others draw power from the USB port. Some USB ports do not supply enough power so some drives come with 2 USB connectors to increase the supplied power. If you get a USB-powered drive, it's probably a good idea to get one with 2 connectors.

Other than that, they are plug-and-play, so pick one that suits your needs and cash.

bribri58

Brian
Im using a 500gb hitachi usb external(under 100$ at bestbuy) and an 3.5" enclosure usb(29$ pc club) for swapping hard drives in and out. The latter has been working fine just that you have to be careful handling the drives, cables and grounding yourself...static E U know

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online