1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help me with Hard drive PLS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by L0g1c, Apr 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

I am thinking about buying an external hard drive for my computer. So i wanted to know what are the specifics for the hard drive that i will be getting. Such as something very simple such a USB 2.0 is the best connection. I don't know the specifics like ATA or SATA and if its dependent on what type of computer i have. If there is already a thread explaining hard drives please be so kind to point me in that direction.

Thanks guys for your time.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

There really is little to consider. The type of drive does not matter because it is connected by USB, so even if your board does not support the faster SATA drives, the controller in the enclosure does if that is the type you get.

Power is the other consideration. Some are powered externally and need to be plugged in. Not too good for laptops on the road, for example, but probably best for permanent, desktop drives. Others draw power from the USB port. Some USB ports do not supply enough power so some drives come with 2 USB connectors to increase the supplied power. If you get a USB-powered drive, it's probably a good idea to get one with 2 connectors.

Other than that, they are plug-and-play, so pick one that suits your needs and cash.

3. L0g1c

L0g1c Thread Starter

Thanks a lot man for your help i will get one asap then.

4. bribri58

bribri58

Im using a 500gb hitachi usb external(under 100$ at bestbuy) and an 3.5" enclosure usb(29$ pc club) for swapping hard drives in and out. The latter has been working fine just that you have to be careful handling the drives, cables and grounding yourself...static E U know

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703169

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice