1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Me with Home NETWORK PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Walker101B, Feb 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Walker101B

Walker101B Thread Starter

How do you and can you setup 2 Computers, one with Windows XP, the other with Windows 98, to share files and printers over a Linksys Router? Don't you need a hub?

2. bassetman

bassetman Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten

Hi Walker101B

THe short answer to your second question is no. WHat router do you have? Routers like (most I think) linksys are also hubs and will allow you to share resources.

It should have come with instructions. THen make sure you set up a work group, make them both members with unique names and make printer, etc whatever you want to share, shared.

Let us know what you have (router) and we can all work from there.

PS I have a linksys Router/Hub and share files, printer and internet connection.

3. Huon

Huon

If each computer has an ethernet nework card, all you need is a crossover cable. You don't even need a router. I have mine set up that way. XP on one, W98SE on the other.

4. silver_lexus

silver_lexus

Carry out the following routine It should sort out your problem

On Win98SE
    1. Using Control Panel>Networks add File and printer sharing and Client add Microsoft network
    2. Select your NIC card on TCP/IP Then>Properties>IP address. Ck the box "specify an IP address" Type in 192.168.0.3 (or the number of your computer. It may be 0.2) and 255.255.255.0 for subnet mask.
    3. Select gateway and type in 192.168.0.1. (This is the main port for ADSL 504) and press ADD. Numbers will move to lower window.
    4.Select WINS and ck Disable Wins resolution.
    5.select DNS Config Ck enable and add your DNS Servers numbers that are obtained from your ISP. If you don’t know them go to Programs>MSDOS prompt. At prompt type "winipcfg /all" don’t use parenthesis and don’t forget the space after winipcfg. The dialogue box will show your DNS server. Take note of the number then select the ellipse at side of number for the second DNS server. exit out of DOS prompt.
    6. (Still in Network>properties>TCP/IP your net NIC card) Select Advanced tab and ck Set this protocol as default.
    7. Select Bindings tab Ck client and File and print sharing.
    8. Select Access tab Ck Share level access.
    9.VERY IMPORTANT. Select ID tab Use existing computer name. (It will come up automatically), or change to your own name. Then in Workgroups. Change MSHOME to Workgroup. THIS IS A MUST. Select description and enter whatever you like e.g. bedroom.
    10. Select OK and OK again to get you back to the desktop. You will get a message to reboot. Go ahead.

On XP machine select same tabs on network and make the same changes. Except that your computer IP setting will be different e.g. 192.168.0.2

Back to Win 98se
    11. Select Network Neighbourhood and wait, and wait. Have a cup of tea; for 5-15 mins.
    12. Zone Alarm will ask for access say yes and tick always remember box
    13 Go to Zone alarm and look in ZONES. Select your IP addresses that may have been "blocked" click on them and change to Trusted. Do the same on the XP machine.
    14. Reboot
    15. Select files or drives that you want to share and right click select share.
    16. Happy networking!!!!!
    17. Remember when you load Network Neighbourhood it takes a while to load on Win98se.
    Good Luck
    Alan

5. Del

Del

Hi Walker,
    For file and printer sharing you need to have Netbeui installed on both machines and if it is a router, don't put an IP address on either as the router will assign them.
    For Win 98:
    Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel. Double click on Network.
    See if you have Netbeui in the list under configuration, if not, click add, then select Protocol and click Add. You'll get a second window up, select Microsoft on the Left and Netbeui on the Right and click ok.
    It should add Netbeui, click the Identification tab and see what you have for the workgroup.
    Click ok again and reboot.

For Win XP:
    The files necessary for installing the NetBEUI protocol on Windows XP are Netnbf.inf and Nbf.sys. Complete the following steps to install NetBEUI:
    Insert your Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD-ROM drive and browse to the Valueadd\MSFT\Net\NetBEUI folder.
    Copy Nbf.sys to the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32\Drivers directory.
    Copy Netnbf.inf to the %SYSTEMROOT%\Inf hidden directory.

NOTE: To make a hidden folder viewable, perform the following steps:
    Click Start, click Run, type Explorer, and then press ENTER.
    Click Tools, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
    Under Advanced Settings, click Show hidden files and folders under the Hidden files and folders Folder.
    Click Start, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network Connections.
    Right-click the adapter you want to add NetBEUI to, and then click Properties.
    On the General tab, click Install.
    Click Protocol, and then click Add.
    Click to select NetBEUI Protocol from the list and then click OK.
    Restart your computer if you receive a prompt to complete the installation.
    The NetBEUI protocol should now be installed and working.
    Make sure you have the same workgroup in XP.

6. AlbertB

AlbertB

A real Network Novice here.

Interesting to see you recommending NetBEUI for the protocol. I have my own setup like this - Win2k + Win98SE + occasional WinXP (cute n' cuddly? yuk! drippy n' dopey more like). My own experience is that it is much more reliable under NetBEUI and I gather (Shields Up! www.grc.com) is much more secure as it is then isolated from the TCP/IP internet setup. I found to my initial dismay when I came to add the XP machine that XP no longer supports NetBEUI as a matter of course. Fortunately M$ have left the NetBEUI stuff on the disc for compatability with existing networks so no real problem. I would be interested to know whether the current default protocols recommended in XP are a better bet again.

7. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    AlbertB,
    I found that my Win98se machine was unable to print to a laserjet that is connected to a XP pro machine without netbeui installed. Installed it, and haven't had a problem since.
    JustMe2

8. AlbertB

AlbertB

Yup, little "details" like that seem to give NetBEUI the edge. I found its ability to set itself up and to recognise and find the rest of the world quickly was far superior. You would have thought that if Micro$oft have moved on past it the new offering would be an even bigger improvement. Can we ever safely assume that though?

9. Del

Del

Good ol' Netbeui

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116933

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice