1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Missing 20GB after System Restore, found in System Volume Information -- Why?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by oniiku, Mar 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. oniiku

oniiku Thread Starter

Hey, everyone!

Looking for some advice on getting my GB back, if possible.
    I hope I'm posting in the right area. :eek:

The other day I had to do a System Restore on my
    Compaq (Windows XP) so far everything is working fine now. Though, I noticed my computer was running slower than usual. I checked my overall GB usage and found that it had dropped 20GB since the System Restore. My computer is currently 140GB in total and right now only 50% of it is left, making my computer run...not so quickly.

I used TreeSize and found that the missing 20GB was being used in "System Volume Information". I don't mean to sound like a newbie, but what exactly could be suddenly taking up 20GB of my space since the system restore? Is it possible for me to get it back without harming my computer? How do I go about doing that?

Someone mentioned that I should make sure it wasn't trojan/virus related, so I've run anti-virus, anti-malware, PC tuneups, etc. Everything is clean. Any advice?

Thanks so much! :eek:

EDIT: Okay well, after searching deeper into the
    "System Volume Information" I see that all the used GB is coming from a folder inside called "_restore{" and there must be 70+ different files inside, I'm guessing these are system restore points? Most of them are less than 1GB (though there are so many it apparently adds up) but one of them is a whopping 13.3GB by itself. What can I do about all these?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore(tab).

Move the slider from its default value of 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

(Note: 3% equates to over 4 GB of hard drive space and is more than enough to save system restore points)

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties.

Move the slider from its default value of 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

(Note: There's no reason for the recycle bin to use 14 GB of hard drive space)

After both have been done, restart the computer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

3. oniiku

oniiku Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice! I did all the things you said. It will keep my current GB under control, which is great. (y) Any advice on how to get my 20GB back, though?

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    After you made the setting change in system restore and in the recycle bin and then restarted your computer, how much hard drive space free space did you reclaim?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Click Start - Run, type in %temp% and then click OK.

That should open the C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp folder.

Select and delete EVERYTHING from inside that temp folder.

If a few files resist deletion, that's normal. Leave them alone and delete EVERYTHING else.

It's all junk and is a good place for "nasties" to hide.

After you're done, empty the recycle bin and then restart the computer.

(Note: Depending on how massive the buildup of temp files is inside that temp folder, deleting them can reclaim hundreds of MB's or a few GB's of free space)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

5. oniiku

oniiku Thread Starter

:eek: Thanks for helping. About 2GB came back after doing what you previously told me, and another 1GB from deleting everything in the Temp Folder.

Do you know what the folder in "System Volume Information" called "_restore{" (with a bunch of numbers afterwards) is for? Are they my restore points? Since TreeSize shows all the GB going into files in the "_restore{" folder, will erasing my restore points return my GB back? I'm not really sure if it works that way or if they're even connected to restore points.

[​IMG]

Deleting all my restore points makes me a bit nervous right now, but seeing how just one of the files is taking up 11GB alone...

Ccleaner will allow individual deletion of restore files I think. But then again I don't know if that's even the problem. I don't want to delete something important and mess up my whole system. :(

Basically all the other used up GB on my computer is accounted for. But this sudden loss of GB is new since I did system restore.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    My advice would be to turn off system restore, then restart your computer, then turn system restore back on, then restart your computer again.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/988273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice