Help Missing digital photos

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Keokolo

Can some help me I downloaded some digital photos from my digital camera onto my PC. Into My Picture folder. Viewed them, now gone. I was moving photos into there own folders when noticed them missing. Cant locate them anywhere in my PC. Any suggestions

Take another photo and look at the image designation for the particular file. Back off a couple of numbers and go Start>Search and put the file designation in find all files and folders. It will find the image with the folder it is in.

If you have taken pictures since find the ones before the ones you lost and back off a couple of numbers from the first file.

Keokolo

Thank you both for responding,
I used the SD500 canon. I tried what you replied with Slipe but all that comes up is other pics not the ones I am looking for. Is it possible to find them on the memory card even if you have formated the card?
Or is there hope that they are still in "My Pictures" folder, or on my hard drive somewhere?

do a search on your pc for *.jpg (assuming your camera stores them in jpg format) check the boxes that say search in hidden / system folders -
sort the results by date if you have some idea when the photos were taken

Checkyour recycle bin. If you deleted them by mistake then they should be in there. You can rescue them from there, just be careful to note which folder they go back to.

There is no way you could have followed my suggestion and come up with “other pics not the ones I am looking for” unless you have several Canon cameras with the same numbering system. Or unless you changed the default file settings so it resets and starts from the beginning every time you format. Few people do that and it isn’t a good idea unless you have a specific need to be able to look at a single picture removed from the folder and know exactly where it was in that particular sequence.

I don’t have a Canon so I will give you an example from my Casio. Say I haven’t downloaded any more pictures from the camera into the computer since the ones I lost. I look at the pictures currently on the card and see that the first image is CMG1248.jpg. That means the last picture in the missing group must be CMG1247.jpg. Just to be sure drop back a few numbers and do a search for CMG1239. If the images are on the computer, Windows search will find that image and you will know where the rest are. If the missing pictures aren’t the last you downloaded, go to the group you downloaded after the missing group and back off a few numbers from the first image.

Just to make sure they didn’t go someplace odd, open Windows Explorer and go Tools>Folder options>View. Make sure “Show hidden files and folders” is checked. It is also a good idea to make sure “Hide extensions for known file types” is unchecked.

If they aren’t in the recycle bin as Knotbored suggests, they have to be somewhere on the computer if you went through the download process.

If those suggestions don't work, download Picasa2 and install it. In its default setting, it will find and display every picture on your computer, even the ones that you don't want to find, such as all the ones in all the cookies and browser files. You can delete all the junk pictures.

Keokolo

Thanks guys for all the info I tried the recycle bin, nothing.I will try Slipe's idea again, then yours deubanks. hopefully I will find my pic's. Let me explain again in more depth. I was moving pictures into folders that i had created in my picture folder. I was in a hurry, moving pictures as fast as I could. I didn't realized that they were missing till the next day. And I already deleted them off my memory card, and started taking pictures again.

Keokolo

Hey I just realized something else, Slipe, I do use two camera's both digtital. One is a Canon Rebel XT the other is the Canon SD500. Hope that info will help.

For some reason you don’t seem to want to look at the numbering system your cameras use. If you will take just a minute to look at how they are numbering the pictures you will be able to find your pictures if they are on your computer and figure out what happened to them if they aren’t there. This isn’t rocket science.

If they both use the same numbering system and are at the same place in the sequence they obviously can’t both go in the same folder if you are extracting JPGs from the Rebel. Windows will never overwrite files without asking you first. If you remember answering “Yes to all” during a download you could have overwritten files from one camera with the other.

It is silly for me to be guessing - look to see how your cameras are numbering the pictures.

Keokolo

Slipe, do you mean like(RebelXT) Jpeg, and the SD500 IMG_001?
the numbers of the pictures I am looking for are IMG_001JPG to IMG_0059JPG, those numbers should of had the pictures I lost, instead the numbers 1 to 59 are pictures I took at a later date. The SD500 make separat folders and put around 100 pic before it start another folder I read. those folders are deleted from the camera. the pictures were all download to my picture folder, look at them several times, it was only when I was trying to move pictures into labeled folders that I lost them.
the last number is IMG_0071JPG then it jumps to IMG_00143JPG

you may have dragged and dropped them to an adjacent folder accidentally -
just do a search of your pc for this: *.jpg
it will find every single jpg file on your entire pc...........
:confused:

Take a look in your manual under the file system and find out how to get the camera to continue the sequence rather than start over. All of my cameras have defaulted to continuing the numbers, but I don’t own a Canon. My Casio counts to 10.000 before starting another folder on its own. My Olympus goes to a million and my Panasonic goes to ten million. I have no idea why the camera might have repeated and taken 001-059 twice unless you have altered how it handles files. It appears from the numbers that the Canon should count to 99,999 before it repeats. Maybe higher as it seem to add two zeros in front as you progress.

If you have pictures taken subsequent to the first group and they started over at 001 you might have overwritten the first batch if you copied them to the same folder. If you did that the original pictures are just gone and not in the recycle bin.

Do a search for 0085. If you find out where 0071 to 00143 went you might find out where your missing pictures went.

You have to put just .jpg in the search for it to find all of the JPGs on the computer. You don’t need the asterisk anymore. Just make sure to select the "all files and folders" option.

My suggestion for doing a search is to install the free EXIF Image Viewer. It makes thumbnails very quickly and is the only program I have found that will search sub-folders when you select the main folder. Browse to the main folder all of your pictures are in and OK. You will see every picture you have in that folder including the sub-folders. http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html I use it often when I can’t remember where I put a particular picture. If you somehow got the numbers changed it will still find the images.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online