1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help missing kernel file

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by asron, Jul 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. asron

asron Thread Starter

it says the RUNDLL32.EXE file is linked to missing export KERNEL32.DLL:ActivateActCtx.
    I think there is more but that is all it shows
    can someone pleale help

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

When does this error occur?

And, since the last time it "worked ok", what did you install?
    (copying an XP version to Win98 would cause this error or installing software that requires XP may cause it)

BTW it isn't the file that is missing, the program Rundll32 is looking for a routine within Kernel32 called ActivateActCtx and can't find it. It "could" be viral, since some viruses/malware do masquerade as Rundll32.

Have you run a full AV check?

3. asron

asron Thread Starter

i have not tried to change the os
    i think i may have deleted it during a clean out of my computer using "crap cleaner" so i am wondering if i can download the file for rundll

4. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Both of the files are there, Rundll32 and Kernel32 but one of them is the wrong version. Odds are it is RUNDLL32.

It's not that you tried to CHANGE the OS, it's whether you copied an XP file to Win98. OR, installed an application that was meant to run on XP only.

So, between the time that it ran OK, and now the only thing you ran was CCleaner??
    Also, you didn't answer as to when this error happens?

As well, download, install and run HiJackThis.
    Copy/paste the created LOG file back here in a reply post.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484712

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice