1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP mobo beeps + lags

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by F14Tomcat, Aug 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. F14Tomcat

F14Tomcat Thread Starter

This just started happening last night (while I was sleeping apparently cuz I left my comp on)

Firstly when I boot up now, the mobo will start to beep every 1-3 seconds. Then it runs XP and continues the beeping on the XP load screen I could begin to see something wrong because every time it beeps, the system seems to freeze for the duration of the beep (sort of like a 1 second lag).

When XP finishes loading and all my startup application finish loading, the beep stops. Everything looks fine then. But if I try to run ANYTHING or do ANYTHING, the beep returns. But only if something is loading. For example: if I try to open MS Word, the beep returns, but stops once MS Word finishes loading. Again, the beeping is accompanied by the annoying lag, effectively slowing down the system. (I'll get a series of beeps in a row if the system seems really busy).

In essence, if the system is busy AT ALL, the beep and lag can be observed.

I suspect it's a RAM problem... any ideass? what I did was I took my RAM out and put it in another spot, but the problem persists... Or maybe it's a power problem?
    Please help got a big paper due and system chugs when I try to run just a few programs! THANKS!

P.S. the system did this before, but the beeps came very very seldomly, like once every couple days, and only beeps once.

System Specs:

Windows XP on
    Gigabyte Mobo
    PIII 750
    256 RAM
    G4FX 450
    60G HD

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Open up the side and see if all the fans are working and clean. If any of them are clogged with dust, get a can of compressed air and blow it out. Just to get rid of any possibility of it being a low fan rpm or overheating alarm.

If you have a spare stick of ram, you may want to try replacing the current stick in the PC.

3. F14Tomcat

F14Tomcat Thread Starter

Wow I cant believe that worked... Here I was thinking it's a complex problem

I think you're right, it might have been a overheating problem. I didn't even check, but there was a compressed gas cannister at my workplace, so I borrowed it and sprayed my fan and voila... no more beeping...

4. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

Yep, gotta clean out the computer at least once a year. Keeps everything running smoothly. :D

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/266251

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice