1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Moved files between Hard disk and now BSODs!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Stuck_jo, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Stuck_jo

Stuck_jo Thread Starter

I got a new Hard Disk today (One of the new IBM 120GXP 40gig), i installed it, partitioned it and formatted it, and went about moving my bigger folders to it to relieve my 15gig hard disk which doesnt have much space left.

I started moving the "Program Files" folder over, i realised this would cause problems with shortcuts, which i thought would be easy to fix by just pointing windows to the new Hard Drive.
    After transfering nearly all the files over, it stopped. I went to look to see what the problem was and the PC crashed. I restarted, got the expected shortcut problems with my startup programs, and when i went to point windows in the direction of the new drive, i clicked down on the box where you select the various folders and disks, and i got two blue screen errors, one after the other. I got back into windows but as soon as i tried acessing the new HD again it crashes completely and i have to restart!!!!

I am using Windows 98SE OS, and if anyone has any ideas please help!
    Also, i am using the new Hard disk as the master and the old one as a slave on the same cable on my KT-7 RAID mobo (But not in a RAID config). It does say to use different cables but i only have one at the moment, and i have the jumpers set up correctly.

HELP! :)

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Program files can not be transferred....they must be reinstalled. I would start all over with the new hard drive and whichever programs you wish to transfer to the new drive, uninstall from the old drive and do a reinstall to the new one.

Also, did you install an operating system on the new hard drive?

3. Stuck_jo

Stuck_jo Thread Starter

Thanks, I will give it a go.
    It was a bit stupid coz i went and "Cut & Pasted" the files rather than copying them, so nearly all my files in the program files directory are gone, but it shouldnt b too much of a prob, since most saves and stuff are on the original drive.

I was just too lazy to do all that in the 1st place!
    :rolleyes:

I guess i should hav thought about all the registry entries in the first place!

4. Stuck_jo

Stuck_jo Thread Starter

I have now realised most of my programs (not backed up) are already on the new hard disk.
    The only thing i can think of is to transfer the files in dos, but i dont know how to get dos to recognise 2 Hard drives!?! It only seems to recognise the one i boot from, and the new HD doesnt have windows on it!!!

5. ~Candy~

I must say that confused me from the beginning as you said the new drive was the master drive and the old drive was the slave.....

Do you not have the installation disks for the programs that you moved?

6. Stuck_jo

Stuck_jo Thread Starter

yeah i set the new 1 as master, i guess that was kinda silly now thinkin about it! What im gonna do is buy a new cable very soon so i can have them seperate.

I think what i'm gonna do now tho is boot from the new HD, and try installing an OS on that, then try swapping files over, then re-format and start again.

If that fails, i will try CPR :)

Sorry if i confused you, i'm kinda stressed here! :(

7. Stuck_jo

Stuck_jo Thread Starter

Well, that didnt work.

Win95 wont recognise the 2 HD either. Alot of the stuff i moved over is stuff that i cant replace, mixes, music stuff, basically stuff i dont want to loose under any circumstances! :(

It doesnt make sense though, windows will access files on the disk, for example ZoneAlarm works because its in my statrup and it searched for and found its files on the other HD, yet if i go into explorer or go to search the hard disk manually (not even getting to moving the files) it gives me the BSOD!?!

Is there any way to sway the files back???
    I cant even use drive rescue (Which is unlikely to work anyway coz of the amount of stuff) and backing up to CD will need about 12 CDs!

Surely theres sum way... I just need to get the files from the new hard disk, back onto the old Hard disk. Should i swap the master/slave around (and jumpers?)?

8. Stuck_jo

Stuck_jo Thread Starter

Please help! there must be some alternative, i've now put each hard disk on a different cable, but it does not make any difference (Yes the jumpers are correct and they are both set as masters on different channels)

I have spent hours on this and i have just got more and more frustrated. There must be something i can do rather than re-formatting!?!

9. ~Candy~

Unfortunately, to borrow another person's phrase here, I think you are in big doo doo.........

Unless you can get the files you moved back to where they were, your only other option is to reinstall the programs that you've messed with.

Changing the drives around from master to slave or slave to master or even on different cables isn't going to change the fact that you've moved files necessary to start certain programs that were installed under your operating system on your old drive.

Files that were data files should be able to be recovered. You just aren't going to be able to run any program associated with them.

Just because Zone Alarm runs, doesn't mean it runs simply because it was in your startup before....some programs will run if you move them between drives......many, many others, won't :(

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice