1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help mscdex.exe

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kristenmace, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kristenmace

kristenmace Thread Starter

cd-rom burner is gone d drive is gone it tells me i need to put mscdex.exe into my dos 4.0 i found it in my windows 98 but don't know how to get it into my 4.0 i have emachine 466is please help

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

The MSCDEX.exe file is used in the autoexec.bat file to set the DOS CD-ROM parameters.

Try running System File Checker (SFC); Go to:

Start / Run and type SFC then hit enter. From there have it scan the system. If it's the first time you've ever run it you'll see some options but the default will work too. If you go with the defaults you'll likely get dozens of stops to just update the entry so it won't stop there again but what you are looking for is a stop where it says "Missing or Corrupted" file.

You run this with the Win98 CD in the CD drive, which from your post seems odd that you can see it unless you're talking about having looked at it on another machine. If that's the case look on your hard drive for a C:\Options\cabs folder where the Win98 CD has been copied and you can restore the file from there.

Now I say all this not having had to extract and restore that particular file so whether it works I don't honestly know but if not we'll go on to plan B.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Windows of any flavor doesn't use MSCDEX, are you making a DOS boot floppy?

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Can you give us some history on whatever the original problem may be? Dos 4.0 and Windows 98 does not compute :eek:

5. kristenmace

the other day we were able to pull the file from windows for some reason and now we can't get it anywhere it's like d drive doesn't exist

6. kristenmace

we tried using griffenspc's method from above but no luck please help

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you please give us some history? Did the drive just stop one day?

If so, can you boot to a dos prompt and type

scanreg/restore
    and press enter

Tell us what kind of dates show up and are any prior to the problem?

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222778

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice