Help! Mt Tower won't work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Emo_Tech_18

I was on my computer when it froze:(. I tried to get to the task manager by clear alt delete bt it wouldn't work. So I shut it off via power button. When I tried to stat it up it wouldn't turn on. I tried checking the cords and the power source but I couldn't find anything wrong:eek:. I unplug the powe cord and tried again the CD drive light and a yellow light below the power light flashed but nothing else:(. The power light seems to be red:confused:. I don't know what's wrong with it:confused: could you help? My computer info Compaq Windows XP Home Editor, Intel inside celeron processor. Thank you:).

What model Compaq? What OS? How old is it? Originl PSU? What make/model PSU?

Sounds like your PSU or at least part of it, has died.

One thing to try. Unplug the computer, hold the power switch in for about 20 seconds, try restarting the computer.

Emo_Tech_18

:pThank You for your help but can you tell me what the PSU is please:eek:. Soory but I don't really now what year it is.

Emo_Tech_18

I tried the restart thing and nothing happened. The power light is red and it won't turn on. OMG my computer is dead. Is there a way to get all of my things off of the computer.

Other than posting in the wrong section, it sounds like the power supply, test it if possible, or try another known good one.

Emo_Tech_18,
PSU is shor t for Power Supply Unit. As panamared said, sounds like your power supply may have problems and will need to be replaced. Would really be helpful to know the exact model of the computer.

panamared,
Hardware would be more appropriate. But for any 9x system, this is never the wrong forum, no matter what the problem may be.

Emo_Tech_18

Thanks guys you really helped alot:D. How would I go about replacing the PSU:p? And what does the red power light mean:confused:

The red light. Probably could tell more if I knew what MODEL the computer was.
If it is in back of the computer on the power supply, it means you are at least getting electricity to the power supply.
If it is at the front by the power-on switch, then at least part of the power supply is working. Just shows that the computer didn't start.

This is the HP/Compaq Troubleshooting guide for the power supply
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph06788&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=3339276

Here is a generic how to replace the power supply for HP/Compaq.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...5731&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Emo_Tech_18

Thank You!!!!:) The computer is a Compaq Presario if that is what you mean by model. Hope I spelled it right.

Sounds like you need a new power supply...better take it to a shop as it appears you are over your head here, nothing to be ashamed of.

Emo_Tech_18

:pYou think so hahaha. Well I'm way over my head; I tried a different power cord and the same thing. It's a little frustrating I have so much important stuff on that computer:(. Could you give me an idea of cost on a new PSU or the repair:eek:. Thanks:)

Psu that is worth owning should run at least $50 + labor (which has to be about 15 minutes tops.)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online