1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! My Computer Has Gone Crazy!

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Kikit, Sep 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kikit

Kikit Thread Starter

I'm trying to have Hijack This! scan my computer, but when I download the program, it says it can't open because it can't find CChat.exe. What shoyuld I do?

My mission for the last four days has been, trying to diagnose what's wrong with my system. It's running slow, pages won't load, typing is sluggish (the words appear seconds after I hit the keyboard, not instantly as they should), the computer freezes, pictures break up into fragments, I cannot scroll sometimes (I hit the scroll and the pages dont' move until seconds later...if AT ALL, the cursor disappears, I cannot open some links, dropdown menus are blank, I have trouble highlighting text, etc.

I have already cleared temp. internet file cache, defragged, updated Internet Explorer, updated Windows (all to the latest versions), I 'm thinking that the problem MIGHT be loss of memory from my McAfee antivirus program or maybe a virus got in! I DON'T KNOW WHAT. I'M SURPRISED THAT I WAS ABLE TO TYPE THIS AND ASK FOR HELP..

2. Corrosive

Corrosive

Sounds like a virus to me. When you did all that updating, I doubt you bothered to update that virus scanner of yours (or the one you should have).

Try going to http://housecall.antivirus.com and running the online scan there. It should point out any virii and will prompt you to delete them. If that doesn't work, I feel the next culprit will be spyware.

3. dai

dai

try one of the online virus checkers i.e housecall
    run adaware and spybot
    d/l hijack again

4. brindle

brindle

CChat is part of the mschat21.exe file. See this article. Don't know what that would have to do with hijack this.

Are you using winzip to open hijack this?

5. e-liam

e-liam

Hi kikit, and welcome to TSG, :)

Without seeing the HJT! log, I can't be sure but you could have the mirc virus. It could explain the problem with cchat.exe, a file contained in MS chat.

If you go to here and run the online scan it will pick that, and any other virii up.

This should enable you to get HJT!. I can't think why it should stop HJT! from scanning, though.. :confused: :)

Try that, and then have another go at a scan.

Cheers

Liam

6. e-liam

e-liam

Great minds etc. :D

7. Kikit

Kikit Thread Starter

You doubt I bothered? The definitions are automatically updated and upon checking them every day, I see that it says I have the latest updates. Also the scanning is on constantly. That is why I can't understand if a virus did, in fact, get in.

I will go to Housecall as you suggested. Thank you.

8. Kikit

Kikit Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone else, for your interest and suggestions. I will try the links provided also. BTW, I don't know anything about winzip, so no, I don't thiknk I'm using that. I will return here to follow up.

9. Kikit

Kikit Thread Starter

E-Liam, a special thanks for your 'welcome' greeting! :)

10. e-liam

e-liam

H Kikit,

In order to use Hijack This! you need to download the file, then unzip it. (Hence the *.zip file extension). If you go here http://www.winzip.com/ddchomea.htm you can get the program free. It'll also be on just about every PC magazine's cover disc. Apart from HJT!, many programs come 'zipped' (compressed) in order to facilitate a faster download. You then need to 'unzip' (decompress) them in order to use them, so it's a very useful utility to have anyway.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

Liam

11. brindle

brindle

you need a program like winzip to open hijak this. then you can click on the exe file.

12. e-liam

e-liam

Hi kikit,

No problem, everyone's welcome here.. :)

Just reread the whole thread again. I've just been sorting out another problem for someone, and it looks like a couple of Mcafee's files [MCVSESCN.EXE] (a worm finder) and [MCUPDMGR.EXE] (the auto updater) are severely hogging resources.

If none of the above ideas work, you might try uninstalling, then reinstalling, MCafee.

Cheers

Liam

13. skyman

skyman

As E-Liam said, McAffee is a resource hog.

You can do what you want but I would suggest you get rid of it and get Norton Antivirus.

Ebay has it for $10...

14. Kikit

Kikit Thread Starter

Thanks to you guys, I found out what the problem was!

I HAD VIRUSES!

I ran a "Housecall" scan, they found three:

Virus: Exploit-ByteVerify
    Trojan: Reg/Seeker
    Trojan: RSLOCALA

Then I ran a McAfee scan just to double-check, and it detected the Exploit-ByteVerify bug again. It showed up as two names...the other name was Dummy [1 class]

I deleted all viruses and ran a third scan overnight as I slept. When I woke up, the results were clean.

I've only had my antivirus program for a month, but I know I had the settings correct, so I'm puzzled as to how these viruses attacked me.

As for the McAfee instant updater hogging resources, I took your information into account, Liam, and I turned off the automatic updater. I will go in and manually do updates myself -- that is, until I get a different antivirus program installed! I'm skeptical of McAfee now.

Sidebar: I also ran AdAware and found quite a few nasty trackers. I deleted all of those.

Brindle and Liam, I downloaded the Winzip utility for future need. Thanks.

Corrosive, I appreciate your posting the address for Housecall.

15. e-liam

e-liam

Great news kikit, (y) :)

Glad we could all help you.. well done everyone.. :)

Cheers

Liam

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/163470

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice