1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help my computer is a mess

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ldowdy56, Mar 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ldowdy56

ldowdy56 Thread Starter

hi everyone,
    im new to this, so bare with me. i have so many promblems i dont know where to start.
    i have to hard boot my coumputer way to much. i get a blue screen that says something about kernal and error disk messages and freezeing. i have avg spyware, pctools antivirus,
    spyware blaster. none of them show any problems. im not very smart when it comes to computers. i have reg. cleaner,pcdoc pro,spotmau wincare 2008. none of thease helps fix
    any of the problems im having. ive spent all this money and im not getting anyware. please
    help me.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When did the problem begin, and did you ever try "system restore" to resolve it?

I can run a debugging utility on the dump files if you do this:

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
    2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump and copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date. You can paste that address in address bar to get there.
    3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder.
    4 > use the "manage attachments" in the "advanced" reply window to upload that zip file here as an attachment.

This might point us to a non-system driver causing the error, if one exists for it.

Since almost all bugchecks can be caused by faulty ram, I would recommend you perform memory tests.

Beginners Guides: Diagnosing Bad Memory

Memtest86 - A Stand-alone Memory Diagnostic

3. ldowdy56

ldowdy56 Thread Starter

to rollin rog
    i cannot understand how to do any of this i dont know how to paste or cut. everything you have just written is greek to me your going to have to make it easier for me. im sure not going to take my computer apart to try to fix it that would be a big mistake. please figure out something i can understand

ldowdy56.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Ok, let's start with one thing at a time.

If the problem began recently do this:

1 > Select Start > Run, and enter msconfig in the "open" field and click "OK"

"msconfig" should open.

2 > Select "Launch System Restore"

... "restore my computer to an earlier time" should have a bullet in it.

3 > Click "next"; a calendar will appear.

4 > Select a date atleast several days before the problem began and then click "next" again.

>> have all other programs closed before you begin doing this. The computer will reboot as part of the process. It usually takes less than 10 minutes.

When you get to the desktop you will be told whether system restore completed successfully or not.

These also have an "undo" feature should you decide you don't want to keep the restore.

Be advised that using System restore will effectively delete any recently installed programs -- so you may want to consider this if you have spent money on new programs -- although you should be able to reinstall them -- or, if the restore does not resolve the problem -- undo the restore.

>> If this procedure is not a practical one for you, you will have to let me know specifically what parts of the 4 step procedure for creating and uploading a minidump file you are having problems understanding.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/697587

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice