1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help! my computer keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by msauter, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. msauter

msauter Thread Starter

I just built my first computer and have installed Win 98SE on it. I'm running a Duron 700 w/ 256DDR and a weak 8MB Savage S3 vid card. I built this computer for running the internet only so that's why the small graphics card but that cannot be why my computer keeps freezing is it? My only problem comes from when i use Internet Explorer. It will work just find and then lock up with no warning. No signs of lag or anything before locking up. Ctrl-Alt-Del doesn't work, only powering down the power source does. I just built it so i don't think it is infected with a virus, or could it be? I try to do windows update from microsoft's page but cannot download anything because it locks up before i can. Please let me know what to do. Thanks.

2. msauter

msauter Thread Starter

ttt, i need help, PLEASE!!!

3. $teve

$teve

welcome to T.S.G msauter.
    how long after boot up does this happen?
    possibly overheating or a faulty ram module.
    you could try another ram stick if you have one,dosent matter what size,just as a tester.
    also check the ventilation/fans are ok and working;)

4. msauter

msauter Thread Starter

after windows loads, it take about 1-5 minutes of time on the internet, the computer seems to work fine when not on the internet with it, but if i use internet explorer i'm anticipating it locking up. all the fans are running and i went under the "pc health" menu in bios after running for an hour or so and the processor temp was like 96 or something and the case temp was like 80 or something close. if you have any suggestion or ideas let me know. as for the ram i dont' have any similar ram around that i could borrow so i dont' know what else i could try, is it possible that my video car is junk? I only paid 13 dollars for it shipped, brand new, and i thought maybe it just didn't refresh my screen and i considered it "locked up" but at the same time, ctrl-alt-delete should have worked. also, i have troubles with shutting down and restarting my computer, when the computer is on, the power button does nothing for me, and when i go to start shutdown in windoes and choose shutdown, it works fine, but when i choose restart, windows closes and nothing happen, it just goes to a black screen. i need to press the reset button next. i'm not sure if the motherboard just isn't resetting when windows tries to restart or what. let me know what anyone of you think. thanks.

5. msauter

msauter Thread Starter

by the way, i just ordered another stick of ram 256ddr, and a ati radeon 32mb ddr vid card, we'll see what helps, if you have anything else, let me know.

6. $teve

$teve

lets see what happens with the new card before we offer any more suggestions.
    i would take out the existing ram module and replace it with the new one..........if all is ok then put the other alongside,if you get the lockups returning there is your culprit.

good luck;)

7. msauter

msauter Thread Starter

here is a pic of the memory stick. i see an inperfection on the contact surface, do you think this could be my problem?

Attached Files:

• ram.jpg
      ram.jpg
      File size:
      46.1 KB
      Views:
  8. kapilvara

kapilvara

Hard to say if that can be the fault best thing for you to do is to attach the new ram sticks and new graphics card to the mother board install the software for graphics card and see what happens.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice