1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help my computer keeps freezing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by munchkin1101, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. munchkin1101

munchkin1101 Thread Starter

My computer keeps freezing up, I have windows xp with service pack 2. I have 256MB of ram and a 1.33ghz processor. I have no clue what is wrong with my computer. Every time i turn it on it freezes up after about 10 to 15 of it being on. I have to restart it manually every time. There is no thing in particular that I run when it freezes up. It freezes up when I am in the middle of playing a game or if I am just writing an email and sometimes it freezes up before it evens boots all the way. What could be causing this problem? Should i get more ram?

2. rude

rude

What os ?

3. munchkin1101

i have windows xp with service pack 2

4. jtsquared

jtsquared

Doesn't sound like an application is causing this if it happens during startup sometimes. Sounds like RAM to me. I wouldn't add more RAM at first--if you have two 128 sticks, you could boot with just one stick in each time and see if your problem reoccurs. If not, see if you can get ahold of another stick or RAM to replace your 256 stick and see if you run w/o locking up. This will tell you if RAM is causing the problem.

Hope this helps,

jT

5. munchkin1101

i'll try to get some more ram as soon as i can. thank you for your reply and advice

6. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

I dont think its RAM.

You mension that sometimes you can be on for awhile and then
    your computer locks up. Like when it locks up does it totally freeze
    or is it slow? How long has it been doing this? Any new sw or hw
    added recently?

1. Remove recently added hardware.
    2. If its something that started lately then run a system restore [start > all programs > accessories > system tools > system restore]
    3. Does the machine lock up in safe mode? [hit F8 on startup]

If it locks up in safe mode then your problem may be either the operating
    system is corrupt or I would say your hard drive is going bad. Who is the
    manufacturer of your computer? Maybe they have a diagnostic program
    available for testing hard drives. Gateway has one its called GWSCAN and
    its available here:

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=19707&uid=78545030

It works on any operating system. There are instructions on that page
    too. But yeah in my opinion sounds like HDD.

7. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

No man, its not ram. That just doesnt make sense.
    Do the GWSCAN like I suggested or find another
    diagnostic program for hard drives. Even a defrag
    may give you an error msg something to tell you
    that "hey your hard drive is bad."

8. jtsquared

jtsquared

Good thought. It certainly could be bad sectors on your drive. Definitely do the hard drive check before spending any money on RAM. It wouldn't be a bad idea to schedule a checkdisk on your next boot either (My Computer, C: Properties, Tools, Error-checking).

jT

9. HeddaLora

HeddaLora

It can't hurt to try some basic maintenance, as not doing so can often cause system instability:

-- Delete all temp files (c:\windows\temp\*.tmp, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp)

-- Delete temporary internet files (c:\windows\temporary internet files\*.*, or on XP C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files)

-- If you use I.E., click on Tools, Internet Options, Delete Files, select "delete all off-line content", click OK

-- Click on Start, Programs, Accessories, Systems Tools, Disk Cleanup

-- Download AdAware, check for updates, run it and remove whatever it finds

-- Do an Online Virus Scan. Here's one: http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?productid=symhome&langid=ie&venid=sym

-- Download Diskeeper and defrag

10. munchkin1101

When it does freeze it totally freezes it dont get slow. i have not added anything new latley. it has been happening for a few months now. i havent done anything to it because i have had a couple people tell me that it was ram then i had someone tell me that it was the processor and someone told me that it was the harddrive so i didnt know what to do. i just bought this operating system so i dont think its that. i didnt buy it from a store it put together.

11. GatewayTech

GatewayTech

Naw I dont think its RAM.. and I really dont think its the processor.
    Its either the hard drive or the operating system.. more than likely
    the hard drive. Anyway I posted what you need to do in order to
    troubleshoot the problem and figure out what's doing it.

If it locks up in safe mode I'd say that would rule out about 1/2 of the list
    of things HeddaLora suggested. But again why not skip all of that and use
    a hard drive scan program at the link I sent you?

12. munchkin1101

i think its my harddrive. i'll let you guys know as soon as i get a new one. thanks for all your help it was very kind of you to reply to my question.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/334317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice