1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! My computer keeps overheating

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NotATechieGirl, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NotATechieGirl

NotATechieGirl Thread Starter

Hi.

Firstly, I'm not a techie in any way shape or form. I can do simple tasks with instructions.

That said, I need help.

My 5 year old laptop keeps overheating. This isn't the first time. I took it to a repair place and he did a great job. I can't afford him right now and I need to clean the fan.

Problem is, I don't know how to get the laptop open.

I thought it was as simple as removing he screws and popping open the back cover. Well, I tood out the screws (there were 10 that I could clearly see) and tried to pop it open. Nothing. Won't budge.

Looked up several YouTube videos, but none of the laptops looked like mine.

I have an HP Envy laptop, and no I don't know which series it is and don't know where to find that info.

Can anyone of you help me? Help me save some money and save my computer?

Please and thanks!

2. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    I can't help you with opening the HP as you don't know the model number. But you can go to the folling website and install HP's device identifier. Remember to allow the install is asked. You can always remove it after.
    After that you should be able to find a way to open it. Either on HP's site or by a Google search.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/laptops

Did you try to blow air into the vent holes?

3. NotATechieGirl

Thank you...and yes, even tried to vacuum from the outside but was cautious about doing that as I don't know what it would do. I will try this other method. Thanks.

4. NotATechieGirl

that was easy

HP Envy Sleekbook 6-1140ca

5. Fireflycph

Fireflycph

First Name:
    Morten
    You're welcome.

I don't know about your laptop but my HP has screws under the keyboard and on the backside right under where the lid connects. Those need to be removed in order to open it.

Also remember that it could be that thermal gel is too old or insufficient. It may need to be re-applied?

6. NotATechieGirl

Thank you!

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    This video should help you open it up, if possible use something plastic or wooden to separate the top from the bottom, anything metal can damage it.

If you don't feel confident about it get a can of compressed air and blow it into the vents, try to jam the fan first with something like a cocktail stick so it won't spin.

8. shahjee99

shahjee99

Thanks for nice help.

9. tecknurd

tecknurd

The following is another how to even though it's for a model that has an AMD processor.
    Code:
    https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/HP+Envy+Sleekbook+m6-k010dx+Fan++Replacement/106040

Use lint-free cotton swabs and 70% or more isopropyl alcohol to clean the internals of your notebook. Also you can use it for cleaning the touchpad and LCD. You can get isopropyl alcohol at any grocery store. Usually, it is near the pharmacy or first-aid products. An ultra-soft brush can also be used.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
  10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I prefer a slightly damp cloth for cleaning screens, I find anything with a solvent leaves streak marks.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219941

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice