1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP my computer keeps turning off!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shingalated, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. shingalated

shingalated Thread Starter

Shortly after getting my motherboard and CPU replaced, my computer started shutting it's self off. It occurs mostly if I have been using it for a while, or if I leave it on for a while, but if after it shuts off, I turn it back on, and start using it again it will shut it's self off again, and it will happen more frequently until it rests for a few days. Do you think it is my motherboard or my power supply? I have a 533 MHz Celeron processor with 256 MB of RAM The fan was just replaced about a year ago.
    Thanks for the help
    Chris

2. Firah

Firah

Seems like its over-heating. Maybe thermal compound was not applied between the processor and heatsink.
    Immediately after it has shutdown, reboot and enter BIOS. See what the temperature is.
    Or download Everest Home Edition from here:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/overview.php?pid=1&lang=en&pageid=1

Install and open it. Click on 'Computer' in the left pane, then 'Sensor' in the right pane. Temperature readings will be there.

3. shingalated

:confused: I checked the temperature and it was only 75.4 Farenheitso i don't think its overheating the air coming out of the back is barely warm, but i do notice it runs longer when i have the air conditioning on

4. Akmorph

Akmorph

You might reset yoru cmos perhaps its a setting inside of your bios that is turning your system off. Check your pc health section and see what the default for your pc to turn off is. also might want to check any monitoring software that you have installed on the system see what the defaults it might have on it.

5. SGarnett

SGarnett

Last week I had the exact problem. First check if the FAN(s) are running. You should have one on the power supply. Then, go get SpyBot Search and Destroy application and run it. There are several adware/spyware applications out there. I had 500 traces this morning and then 300 more again after lunch!

Scan for spyware/adware.

Third--make sure you have ALL your Windows Updates. They DO matter.....;)

Good luck!!!

6. Firah

Firah

Are you sure that's the CPU temperature, and did you get it from the BIOS?

7. shingalated

the 75.4 temperature is from a program called hmonitor and i also used the everest program and it said that it was 75 then i checked it later with everest and it said 73. I went to PC health in the bios after restarting, and it just had the fan speeds and the voltages

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

PC Health in the bios should show the cpu temp.

9. Stenshi

Stenshi

I am new myself, but I hade that problem before. I cleaned the dusts, checked the temperatur, plug and unplug everything that I can put my hands on, check the conflict of programs, and make clean reinstall of the system again and again. It did not solve the problem, and finally I send the computer in for reparation.
    I was told that the motherboard was broken och they changed a new motherboard, and my computer works now. I am wondering if it was some virus attacked the BIOS, as I read there are some virus can do that.

In your case, you have a new MB and CPU, so it should not be the problem with the MB.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/254866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice