1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help my computer says no bootable drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AngChron, Mar 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AngChron

AngChron Thread Starter

:eek: My computer freaked out, went to error screen, and told me it was dumping physical memory. I restarted it and it will not boot up. It's telling me primary hard disk srive 0 not found and there are no bootable devices. When I hit F1 to retry boot, it tries and then gives me the same message. I can press F2 for Setup Utility... What do I do to fix it and what the heck happened??!!!n I have a Dell Inspiron 8600.

2. bmt626

bmt626

sounds like a hard drive issue try hooking the hard dirve up to a friends computer to see if you can access your files to back them up then re-load the os

3. AngChron

AngChron Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm gonna wait for a master person to answer. I dont want to plug in my hard drive to a friend's computer if it's bad and possibly has a virus. I haven't had any probs with it until all of a sudden. And I was on the internet at the time...so I'm a little suspicious

4. buddythedog

buddythedog

With a notebook it can be a little more difficult to troubleshoot things. Press F2 and go into setup. If you look under IDE devices do you see your HD listed? Dell's usually come with a diagnostic CD. If you have one go into Setup (F2) again and make your CD drive the first CD device and put that CD in and boot up. Run the diagnostics. Make sure you are plugged in and not just running on the battery. If no CD post back.

5. AngChron

AngChron Thread Starter

I'm trying the diagnostics CD. so far it's passed everything....but it's still running so I'll get back to ya

6. Ziggy587

Ziggy587

First I would check the physical connection of the drive inside the computer. Then I would check the BIOS and make sure the drive is "on."

Sounds like a bad hard drive. Hope you have nothing special on it. This sounds similar to the time my friends hard drive was "failing." I tried the two things I just suggested and it still didn't boot. So then under the BIOS I selected "restore defualts." The drive booted up to Windows, then completely failed a day or two later. It was long enough for him to back up a few important files he needed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/548477