Help - My Dialup Modem only gets 5kbs

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AxlPoser

Hello,
I have a Dell Desktop Pentium 4 with a BCM v.90 56K modem running on Windows XP SP2. I have a regular dialup service but the maximum data transfer I can get is 6 kps on a good day - usually it is 3-5.
Is there something wrong with the modem or something else?
I had DSL two months ago (which worked fine) but cut off the service because I coudn't afford it..
Dialup is slow as it is, but 6kps?!
I have not used dialup on this computer before so I don't know what the issues could be.
I thought it was the service so I tried different ones including AOL, Netzero and Juno.
Still same thing.
Is there software that comes with the modem that I may have forgot to install?
HELP!

I am assuming that you mean 6 kbps data transfer rate. With a 56k connection 6 kbps is about the maximum transfer rate that is possible.

AxlPoser

I apologise in advance because this is probably the stupidest question in the world but because I am not very handy with computers you'll have to excuse me:
if it is a 56K modem shouldn't I be able to download 56kbps?
I am kind of confused here. It has been about five years since I last used dialup but I don't remember it being this slow. Maybe I just got too used to downloading with DSL.

No, you are not going to get 56 KB per second with a 56k modem. there is a difference between kilobytes (KB) and kilobits (kb). The maximum theoretical transfer with a 56k modem is 56 kilobits, not 56 kilobytes. The actual truth is most times you will hook up at 45 kilobits, or 45000 bits per second.

Whew, you made me think back a few for that one. I am pretty sure I remember correctly though.

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask! My post had some small typo's, basically a 56k connection is 56 kilobits per second, which is your connection speed. The data transfer rate is shown as kilobytes per second which would amount to a maximum of 7 kilobytes per second for a 56 kilobits per second connection. Remember a byte is equal to 8 bits. Actually a 56k connection actually tops out at 53.3k which divided by 8 comes to closer to 6.3 kilobytes per second transfer rate, which is about what you are achieving with your dial up connection.

AxlPoser

Okay, I think I understand.
I guess I am going to have to see if I can somehow get back on DSL.
THANK YOU for your help. I really appreciate it. : )

AxlPoser

I can't believe people actually paid $20 a month for 5kbps.

By the way, I like sniper kitty.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
AxlPoser said:
I can't believe people actually paid $20 a month for 5kbps.

By the way, I like sniper kitty.
He's very nice until you cross him. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online