1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help - My Dialup Modem only gets 5kbs

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AxlPoser, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AxlPoser

AxlPoser Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a Dell Desktop Pentium 4 with a BCM v.90 56K modem running on Windows XP SP2. I have a regular dialup service but the maximum data transfer I can get is 6 kps on a good day - usually it is 3-5.
    Is there something wrong with the modem or something else?
    I had DSL two months ago (which worked fine) but cut off the service because I coudn't afford it..
    Dialup is slow as it is, but 6kps?!
    I have not used dialup on this computer before so I don't know what the issues could be.
    I thought it was the service so I tried different ones including AOL, Netzero and Juno.
    Still same thing.
    Is there software that comes with the modem that I may have forgot to install?
    HELP!

2. cmw2010

cmw2010

I am assuming that you mean 6 kbps data transfer rate. With a 56k connection 6 kbps is about the maximum transfer rate that is possible.

3. AxlPoser

AxlPoser Thread Starter

I apologise in advance because this is probably the stupidest question in the world but because I am not very handy with computers you'll have to excuse me:
    if it is a 56K modem shouldn't I be able to download 56kbps?
    I am kind of confused here. It has been about five years since I last used dialup but I don't remember it being this slow. Maybe I just got too used to downloading with DSL.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

No, you are not going to get 56 KB per second with a 56k modem. there is a difference between kilobytes (KB) and kilobits (kb). The maximum theoretical transfer with a 56k modem is 56 kilobits, not 56 kilobytes. The actual truth is most times you will hook up at 45 kilobits, or 45000 bits per second.

Whew, you made me think back a few for that one. I am pretty sure I remember correctly though.

5. cmw2010

cmw2010

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask! My post had some small typo's, basically a 56k connection is 56 kilobits per second, which is your connection speed. The data transfer rate is shown as kilobytes per second which would amount to a maximum of 7 kilobytes per second for a 56 kilobits per second connection. Remember a byte is equal to 8 bits. Actually a 56k connection actually tops out at 53.3k which divided by 8 comes to closer to 6.3 kilobytes per second transfer rate, which is about what you are achieving with your dial up connection.

6. AxlPoser

AxlPoser Thread Starter

Okay, I think I understand.
    I guess I am going to have to see if I can somehow get back on DSL.
    THANK YOU for your help. I really appreciate it. : )

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Bytes, bits, there are 8 bits in a byte. :D

8. AxlPoser

AxlPoser Thread Starter

I can't believe people actually paid $20 a month for 5kbps.

By the way, I like sniper kitty.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

He's very nice until you cross him. :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592284

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice